Site > News

welcome home the legendary casey willams Hardison

<< < (3/12) > >>

Tsathoggua:
What do you mean that story had you cringing?

Was no fun, but at least 1.5kg ish of the lactone/end product of its ring opening.

Think that was bad?

Molten sodium covered in fuzed anhydrous NaOH up Toady's nose wasn't his idea of enjoyable either :P

fishinabottle:
Me likes to work naked too, never had an issue. Private parts only suffered once when working dressed and going to the toilet for a pee not realising that there are some spots of KOH on my hands which came from just opening a container with this.
That was considerably unpleasant.

Working naked is somewhast like doing electric installations under energy (only up to 400V) - this is common in many countries, gloves and rubbershoes are mandatory but only an extra, they work without touching blank wires at all.
The rate of injuries is lower then in countries where energy is switched off.

/ORG

Baba_McKensey:
One time I was cleaning up some potassium hydroxide that had absorbed a lot of water from the air, became liquid and spilled on a table because the lid leaked.  In the bathroom, I found some strange black junk and wondered what it was.  Then I felt my forearm stinging, looked at it and discovered that there was a bare spot where there used to be hair.  That's when I found out KOH is a lot more corrosive than NaOH.  I washed it off and it didn't leave any scars.

fishinabottle:

--- Quote from: Baba_McKensey on December 19, 2014, 10:04:57 PM ---One time I was cleaning up some potassium hydroxide that had absorbed a lot of water from the air, became liquid and spilled on a table because the lid leaked.  In the bathroom, I found some strange black junk and wondered what it was.  Then I felt my forearm stinging, looked at it and discovered that there was a bare spot where there used to be hair.  That's when I found out KOH is a lot more corrosive than NaOH.  I washed it off and it didn't leave any scars.

--- End quote ---
You must be some hairy guy... :o
But it speaks for the protective properties of fur....

/ORG

Tsathoggua:
Toady likes to wear a thick fabric long-sleeved shirt while working. It serves as a labcoat, as it can't be worn for day-wear anymore, as its blackish-violet all over the place and covered in chem stains and burns.

Fucker has gotten iodinated to kingdom come over the years, but for lab work, rather than day-wear its just fine. Other than that, goggles, gas mask or O2 supply depending what is being done, with elbow-length heavy rubber gloves, sometimes with a second pair of nitrile gloves over the top or underneath.

Other than that, a leather jacket is favoured lab-wear, as the leather is tougher than fabrics and can bee rapidly wiped off/decontaminated and has some resistance to corrosives of many kinds, gives one time to act before ending up receiving an injury.

Accidents happen, for instance, when barefoot, almost had a major burn from a bottle of 93% H2SO4 after the cap loosened and allowed the bottle to drop to the floor. Toady jumped out of the way JUST in time. Only damage in the end was to the bathroom floor, and bog seat, looks like someone shat on the floor and bog seat with the big brown stains that it left. But if Toady had not got lucky, and moved as fast as he did, that conc. sulfuric WOULD have ended up splashing down his legs and onto his bare feet.

No NEED to be naked in the lab, its just dumb and irresponsible IMO. Injuries recieved that way if a hospital job, just brings a bad reputation and more chemophobia to the mindset of that kind of person, and gets ALL amateur/hobby chemists a bad name.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version