Site > News

welcome home the legendary casey willams Hardison

<< < (2/12) > >>

Moriarty:
Naw, dude is naked making drugs in an old hippie bus somewhere on Dead tour in California.  It's like my late 20's all over again ;-)!

blowjay:
I am sure he has shoes on. PPE would be nice, maybe he had a rubber on hahaha.

That is a pretty unsafe way to work though in most every place one could work that does not require one to dance for dollars.

Baba_McKensey:
Maybe he feels chemical scars on his body are a sign of honor.

Tsathoggua:
Lol Baba.

Well he is more than welcome to Toady's. Would happily trade him those for an 8th of herb and a bag or two of good H :D

Let's see...what have we on offer...?

One hand, palm-side 3/4 to 4/5ths covered in scar tissue, courtesy of an inadvertent (obviously) encounter with conc. perchloric acid, later to get another going over from liquified SO2, and once more from thionyl chloride. A few knuckles of other hand singed a bit and scarred from hell only knows what exactly. A now probably healed over, but at the time, bloody painful freak electrolysis accidentl; Tsathoggua was conducting an electrolysis of molten/fused NaOH using a tank of argon to protect the forming sodium from atmospheric oxidation, when at about the same time both the gas gave out and the pool of liquid Na grew big enough to cause a short between the electrodes in his cell resulting in a crackling series of pops and bangs, and thanks to sheer bad luck a blob of molten sodium, presumably covered in some hydroxide shot through the air at precisely the correct angle and time to end up being propelled right up one of his nostrils; where it did a thorough job of burning and corroding a crater up, and inside his nose. And a one eye with still existant, but minimal sight due to, when much, much much younger and less experienced in both lab techniques and safety, and doing a ring-opening of THAT 4-carbon lactone. This was dissolved in mostly MeOH, and some H2O, whilst heated NaOH solution was added. He didn't know about boiling chips at the time, and it, right at the moment he adjusted his goggles to scratch his nose, the rxn flash-boiled and erupted out of the flask to hit him in the eye and face, not to mention splatter boiling lactone, methanol and caustic all over his kitchen, which needless to mention made mincemeat of quite a few plastic fittings. He instantly went and flushed his eyes out, swearing profusely before then opening the windows, putting the fan on to vent the stench of lactone and going and mopping up in order to A-clean up before his parents woke up and skinned him alive before dumping him in a boiling vat of tabasco sauce and vinegar for melting bits of the kitchen, buggering up some of the paintwork. He did at least manage to recover a mixture of at least a kg of the resulting carboxylic acid sodium salt plus a significant recovery of lactone, mopped up into paper towels and later extracted and the rxn finished properly, this time without a miniature mt.vesuvius.

Ever since though, long-distance sight in the eye that recieved the gout of boiling water/MeOH/lactone/NaOH is very, very, very poor, although he can still read with it just as long as the text isn't more than a couple of feet away, other than that everything is blurry and indistinct.

Also, inhaled a bit too much of various things by accident over the many years of his chemistry/mycology/microbiology/pharmacological experimenting giving his chest a tendency to get somewhat irritable and prone to coughing, mainly when the weather gets cold, and a (completely unrelated) self-iodination, which left him with multiple, but each one quite small, scars and a heavy shirt that has ever since been his lab coat, as its fit for nothing else, since its riddled with holes, and big dark violet-black iodine burns :P

AnyNameWillDo:
This story will most definitely pop into my mind the next time I'm feeling too lazy to go hunt down my safety glasses and give me the needed motivation to do go find them. Sheesh, that one had me cringing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version