Author Topic: Dimethylamine  (Read 5607 times)

ballzofsteel

Dimethylamine
« on: March 14, 2002, 05:48:00 PM »
At the hardware store in the gardening section ,swim spied a product with a good % of active ingredient dimethylamine.

Now,I think I can remember reading something about this gear over at rhodiums,but If I can remember rightly it was only mentioned in relation to some way to fullon  for swim psychedelics synthesis.

I was just wondering if this had any use in meth synthesis.
like can swim easily(
Please excuse the ignorance.A quick yes or no will suffice.ballz will do the reading,just looking for a lead.

thankyou for your time.

mnkyboy77

Re: Dimethylamine
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2002, 06:48:00 PM »
If I remember correctly...NOPE.  The di- is a sideproduct (from polymerization?), of the methylamine.

Could be wrong, but from my read it seemed that the di- was just discarded due to being of no use.

--Why '77', You get "Eight" more!!!--

terbium

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2002, 07:58:00 PM »
Correct, there is no practical way to use dimethylamine in the synthesis of methamphetamines.

droneRx

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2002, 12:42:00 AM »
Wouldn't that bee nice?
But no way. Of the 3...mono, di and tri...only the mono works for meth.

bujinkan

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2002, 02:38:00 AM »
curious, what was the product?

ballzofsteel

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2002, 08:09:00 AM »
Cant quite remember.It was spied in the fertilizer/pestacide
section of the garden department at the local hardware store.Ill find out for you.

thanks for the quick replies.

PolytheneSam

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2002, 01:13:00 AM »
You mean that lawn weed killer?

Active Ingredients
2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid, dimethylamine salt*.....10.8%
2-(-Methyl-4-chlorophenoxy) propionic acid,
dimethylamine salt**....................................11.6%
Inert Ingredients.......................................77.6%
*2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid equivalent,
isomer specific by AOAC Method 6.D01-5: 9.0%
**2-(2-Methyl-4-chlorophenoxy) propionic acid
equivalent:  9.6%

Never heard of it.

The free 2,4-D is insoluble in water and can be filtered out after adding muriatic acid or hydrochloric acid.  Evaporate the filtrate to get dimethylamine hydrochloride which can be used for making DMT or a million other things.  I think heating the dimethylamine hydrochloride with quicklime or other strong base to produce dimethylamine base might be best for the last step in purifying it, ie distill it out or use to gas something with.  What are the inert ingredients, BTW?
Also, everything dissolved in water when I tried it, which means it contains no solvent that's immiscible in water.  After filtering it I left it to stand in a dish to evaporate, but lost interest later and forgot what I did with it.  Another shelved project.  I can't remember if I looked up the solubility of 2-(2-Methyl-4-chlorophenoxy) propionic acid (the free acid), but its probably insoluble in water, too.

http://www.geocities.com/dritte123/PSPF.html

DiMethyl

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2002, 06:33:00 AM »
Its a byproduct of the methylamine synthesis.
Since I have seen the product of a methylamine systhesis
that was just a little on the yellow side I suspect that
the dimethylamine is yellow in color.

callen

di-chloro-phenyl acetic acid
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2002, 06:30:00 AM »
A.L.F. remembers seeing on (read the labels) a bottle of weed killer,"di-chloro-phenyl acetic acid." And I dreamed that by using zinc powder as a catalyst I could remove di-chloro.A.L.F. doesn't recall the details. Might be too sophisticated a process to endeavor. ;D

paranoid

just a thought
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2002, 08:58:00 AM »
"there is no practical way to use dimethylamine in the synthesis of methamphetamines."

Maybe not, but according to Shulgin it can be of use in the production of gramine - a precursor for the production of tryptamine.  Maybe not as practical as buying the stuff in the first place, but I'd imagine it's not that easy to just go out and purchase tryptamine these days, possibly gramine for that matter.  Then again, I wouldn't really know.  Just thought I'd mention it as I was reading TIKHAL the other day and noticed this.

Rhodium

Dimethylamine for DMT
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2002, 07:03:00 PM »
And indole + oxalyl chloride + dimethylamine gives DMT after reduction of the intermediate glyoxylamide. Procedure to be found in Tihkal #6.

PolytheneSam

rhodium.ws
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2002, 08:24:00 PM »
Search for dimethylamine on the chemistry page here. 

https://www.rhodium.ws

http://www.geocities.com/dritte123/PSPF.html
The hardest thing to explain is the obvious

ClearLight

diphenylamine?
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2002, 11:40:00 PM »
SWIM just found a bottle of diphenylamine. Any good use for it???

Infinite Radiant Light - THKRA

terbium

You need a Merck Index.
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2002, 12:41:00 AM »
SWIM just found a bottle of diphenylamine. Any good use for it
There are good uses for every commercially produced chemical otherwise they would not be produced. The diphenylamine could be used to make phosgene test paper. In your case though a more productive use of the diphenylamine would be to try to trade it to someone for an old copy of the Merck Index.

foxy2

diphenylamine
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2002, 12:50:00 AM »
decarboxylation solvent, see tryptamine forum

Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety