Author Topic: Large scale nitroalkene --> amide  (Read 1916 times)

silenziox

Large scale nitroalkene --> amide
« on: November 21, 2003, 05:11:00 PM »
I'm referring on the

Large-scale MDA from piperonal

(https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/mda.txt)

Could the "200 g of LiAlH4 dissolved in 10 L of ice cold anhydrous THF" ratio be suppressed to f.ex. 5L of THF?
Never done LAH reductions, but I think this is the way to go..

hest

THF
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2003, 04:46:00 AM »
Yes, no problem. Bu the 200g LiAlH4 might bee hard to get ;-)

silenziox

No it isn't. It's just damn expensive ...
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2003, 10:01:00 AM »
No it isn't. It's just damn expensive (~160usd/200g).

But back to the question, what's the minimum amount of the solvent "best" to use on LAH-reductions?

Rhodium

Large-scale LAH nitrostyrene reduction safety
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2003, 11:50:00 AM »
The maximum solubility of LiAlH4 in THF at 25°C is 130g/kg, and with the density of THF being 0.89 this is equivalent to ~115g/L. However, many sources reccommend that for safety reasons, the maximum concentration used in practice should be limited to around 1 mole/liter, which is 38g LiAlH4 per liter of solution. Therefore I don't reccommend that you go any lower than 5 liters of THF to dissolve 200g LiAlH4.

Also, as both the dissolution of LiAlH4 in THF as well as the addition of the nitrostyrene to the LiAlH4 solution are very exothermic processes, I wholeheartedly reccommend that you use an ice-bath to cool the reaction flask and the THF to 0-5°C before adding the LiAlH4, and that you do it slowly in portions of at most 10-20g. Use a two-necked reaction flask, or if you must use a single-neck setup, don't allow the powder funnel to cover the entire neck when adding each LiAlH4 portion, as there will always be a positive pressure in the flask during addition. Allow the temperature to return to 0-5°C before adding the next portion. The concentrated nitrostyrene solution in THF is to be added dropwise so that the evolved heat gets a chance to dissipate, otherwise a runaway reaction may result.

See the following documents:

Post 376864

(Rhodium: "Lab-size Mushroom Cloud", Methods Discourse)

Post 465429

(Rhodium: "LAH will fizz even with dry THF...", Newbee Forum)

http://www.dehs.umn.edu/whatshot/LithiumAH.html