Author Topic: Iodine - From Sodium Iodate  (Read 2019 times)

eXcidium

Iodine - From Sodium Iodate
« on: May 25, 2004, 05:16:00 PM »
This may perhaps help some bees out there that need some elemental I2

I do not have the specifics for the reaction, but if someone helps, this is a easy way

2NaIO3 + 5NaHSO3 -----> 3 NaHSO4 + 2NaSO4 + H2O + I2

Can someone Fins the specifics? this might prove to be an easy way (500g of Sodium Iodate costs around 105€, in my supplier, while 500g of pure iodine costs around 90€, but not all can buy pure iodine, so i hope this helps)

Nicodem

Hm, and the molar mass is?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 05:53:00 PM »
500g of Sodium Iodate costs around 105€, in my supplier, while 500g of pure iodine costs around 90€, but not all can buy pure iodine, so i hope this helps

How exactly should this help? If you would do some calculations you would see it is way cheaper to buy iodine. (Not to mention the waste of such a useful oxidant like NaIO3). You might consider oxidizing NaI or KI to iodine, but the reduction of NaIO3 looks so horribly wasteful.

eXcidium

Trying to help?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 06:10:00 PM »
Yeah, i was just trying to give ppl alternatives.... not finding a revolutionary way...

Some countries use that Iodate in industry

Nicodem

Where can you get NaIO3?
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 07:43:00 PM »
Some countries use that Iodate in industry

If there is an easy or OTC way to obtain sodium or potassium iodate I would like to know how. I might need it for something else. That would truly bee some help ;)

gsus

iodate
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 10:55:00 PM »
not in stores, but its out there, at least in the usa, by mail. the price varies, and i have bought some for much less than the above figures for an entire kilo of ACS grade. obviously in general it seems that one would probably be better off buying a large amt. of iodide and converting it, as this can get very cheap also. use your computers and credit cards while you still can! yes, the typical chemical vendors selling to labs are rip-offs, and perhaps euros have no choice? maybe you can start your own supply house?