Author Topic: Cyclone cleaning in MEK  (Read 11793 times)

dwarfer

what I think is..
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2004, 11:05:00 AM »
that the poly electrolytes/polyampholytes "self assemble"
when they are detached from the molecules they originally
were designed to screw up.

Self-polymerization arising from the ionic inclusions
in their makeup.  At least in my experience, they manifest
in tiny wires, grow into longer twisted and curled form (still maybe 1/32nd of an inch is the largest, approx...)
and ocassionally form bizarre nucleated hydra shapes.

I will post a tyro's treatise on PA's later. ::)

geezmeister

how do you get these out?
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2004, 02:53:00 PM »
If you see the PA's in the MEK cyclone, what do you do to remove them?

The fact this detrius appears indicates the meth was not clean; the fact that it has gakks in it and dissolves readily in MEK suggests, in my experience, that the meth has in it one of the Eudragit polymers that seem to make meth and pseudo readily soluble in acetone and MEK when they are present. I could test the solubility of clean meth in MEK, but why would I want to dissolve clean meth in MEK? Unless, I guess, I was going to do a dual solvent recrystallization in alky and MEK. Okay. I have a rationale for putting clean meth in clean MEK.

dwarfer

ya filters 'em
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2004, 04:53:00 AM »
As you observe the spinning cyclone, and it cools,
detritus is observed to precipitate.
As it further cools,
something that looks
like it might be a feathery crystal
of fumeable substance appears.

At this point you filter it.

What remains in the filter is not good.

since the act of vacuum filtering evaps some volatile
solvents, cooling it, what then appears is to your wondering eyes...

something which if filtered again, should be saved:
ulike the first filter.

which shouldn't.

geezmeister

vacuum filtration
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2004, 04:34:00 PM »
Vacuum filtration when the gakks appear and before the meth begins to preciptate would remove the solids and leave the unprecipitated meth in solution. This is most likely a function of the temperature of the MEK, is it not? So filtration at x degrees C should allow the meth to flow through since it remains dissolved in the MEK, and the gakks that have precipitated to be filtered out, correct? Sirring may have the effect of precipitating the gakks... just as scratching the side of beaker or flask with a glass rod will at times cause crystals to fall out. It may be the motion that encourages or facilitates the precipitation of the gakks... what confuses me is the five second microwave blast before filtration... as it might increase the temperature of the MEK enough to redissolve some of the gakks.

I supsect the precipitation of the meth is a temperature dependent function more than anything else, and filtration just before the solution reaches that temperature may be the key to selective filtering out of the gakks.