Author Topic: ReX. with denatured alcohol?  (Read 2457 times)

place

ReX. with denatured alcohol?
« on: June 27, 2004, 12:47:00 PM »
SWIM lost all this IPA and have only 93% denatured ethanol as choice of alcohol to do a reX. SWIM belive that the "gakk" in the denatured alcohol is MethylEthylKeton.

If drying the alcohol with CaCl2, could SWIM use the alcohol?

rgs,

ChemoSabe

I'd avoid the CaCl if ar all possible.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 12:58:00 PM »
I'd avoid the CaCl2 if at all possible. If any carrys over after the drying it might create some sidechain crap once acetone is introduced.

Personally swim likes Silica Gel crystals sold for flower drying but epsoms sold for foot soaking are good too. Epsoms are probably the most popular overall drying agent for this purpose.

geezmeister

you can, but
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 04:09:00 PM »
You can use it as is, for that matter. A dual solvent solution to start with, so to speak. Or just use 91% IPA from the drug store. Or 70% for that matter. I personally prefer using very dry alcohols for at least one of the rextals because its such an easy way to take so many salts you don't want out of the pile-- so many of them are water soluble that if you use a wet alcohol to start with you keep them around... when you could just filter them out. I like to do one rextal with ISO and one with MeOH, filtering out any solids each time.