Author Topic: Phosphorus Pentoxide  (Read 1733 times)

LiquidGaia

Phosphorus Pentoxide
« on: January 19, 2003, 06:07:00 AM »
SWIM is planning to use this to make tmp.
SWIM is wondering if Phosphorus Pentoxide can be found OTC (in large quantities). SWIM knows it is used as a drying agent. SWIM would also like to know if several kg's were ordered whether the order would be suspicious.
Also, how much would it sell for per kg?

SPISSHAK

What is tmp?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2003, 06:11:00 AM »
I was wondering is that trimethyl phosphite? I'm interested in a wittig-horner reaction that's why I'm curious.

LiquidGaia

its trimethyl phos phate that I'm chasing.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2003, 06:25:00 AM »
its trimethyl phosphate that I'm chasing.

SPISSHAK

AFAIK
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2003, 06:34:00 AM »
It's not I bought some a few years ago to dehydrate acids no questions were asked, I don't know about now.

Disciple

re;Phosphorus Pentoxide
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2003, 02:22:00 AM »
I think lately all phosphorus compounds are getting looked at harder as they can be used in the production of chem weapons. BUT... Phosphorus pentoxide is a great dehydration agent,and forms phosphoric acid with water. I think this process is able to be regenerated so, correct me i i'm wrong but could you freeze or vac distill phosphoric acid from otc cleaning agents(rust??)then heat this to decomposition (230 C).

SPISSHAK

yes it might work
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2003, 04:16:00 AM »
something easier is burning phosphorous polysulfide from the heads of matches, that will produce P4O10, and SO2 (gas)

nukles

true
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2003, 04:20:00 AM »
but to even get a good batch of honey it takes boxes of matches and tones of time. Sorry i dont have an easier way. Ill talk to a friend about it and I think there is one. But thats not my pot

Disciple

whats in a match?
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2003, 04:56:00 AM »
is phosphorous polysulfide pretty much the only ingredient in safety matches. Its a bitch to search for the msds' if you try you'll know what i mean... any other sources??

nukles

not that i know of
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2003, 04:58:00 AM »
Im not quit sure.About other sources that is. Its just like the batteries, you have to spend alot of time on doing things you enjoy. BUt yeah its true the matches are the best source

SPISSHAK

Match head composition
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2003, 05:21:00 AM »
Potasium Chlorate, and Phosphorous polysulfide, the chlorate is the oxidizer, and the sulfide is the oxidant.
When it burns you get SO2 (gas), KCl, and P4O10.

Disciple

Re; matches
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2003, 11:19:00 PM »
What would be the best way to split these compounds up.
Is Phosphorus polysulfide water soluable. if not, just soak matches in water to remove potassium chlorate...??? or to get the phosphorus pentoxide after the combustion of the matches and somehow extract the KCl..

SPISSHAK

Phosphorous polysulfide
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2003, 05:27:00 AM »
Is not water soluble and KClO4, is water soluble, so you could bust it up.