Author Topic: CO2 as inert atmosphere  (Read 2450 times)

jimwig

CO2 as inert atmosphere
« on: May 16, 2004, 12:12:00 PM »
this very otc gas doesn't react at high heat (at least in the form of shielding weldments), but does it react in other ways that would prevent it from being a readily available inert atmosphere gas in chemical reactions?

Where does the definitive data on this and other gases lie.
No info on TFSE that seems relevant (I could be wrong).

Tahnks...........

hypo

doh
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 12:15:00 PM »
obviously depends on the reaction. eg. i wouldn't use CO2 for a grignard.

Rhodium

Carbonic Acid Anhydride, a.k.a. CO2
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 03:28:00 PM »
Carbon dioxide is a rather acidic gas, so don't use it with any reactions containing acid-sensitive reagents, such as grignards, alkyl-lithiums, hydride reductions etc.

LaBTop

Inert gasses
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 01:05:00 PM »
Best info to be found in the catalogues at the welding supply companies. (ie. Helium, Argon and Nitrogen, ). They again have contacts with industrial and medical gas companies.
It's the most unsuspicious source for gasses. Tell them you have a birthday party for one of the kids. That you want to fill up balloons which will float up for the grand opening, and balloons which will be kept down in your empty swimming pool so they can play hide and seek in them. And that you don't want the little critters go in any harms way.
Thus he will rent/sell you 2 inert gasses cylinders, one lighter than air, one heavier than air. Handy in reactions you want to bubble inert gas through, and reactions you want to cover with an inert blanket of gas. LT/

PS: have some extensive data on inert gasses somewhere in one of my sticky threads, will look it up.

LaBTop

Found some of it, there's more somewhere in it:
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 02:08:00 PM »

http://mattson.creighton.edu/Microscale_Gas_Chemistry.html

is more for educational purposes.

In this thread is so damn much chemistry-info, you could read for years, instead of asking repeating questions  :)  :

Post 177849

(LaBTop: "FIRST READ for MEMBERS new and old!", Newbee Forum)

And in here somewhere there are extensive data on all gasses:
Post 26266 (LaBTop: "CHEMISTRY  "LINKS"  COMPILATION update 07aug.", Newbee Forum)
Topic : CHEMISTRY "LINKS" COMPILATION update 07aug2000. (LaBTop)
De facto, combined with the above, all answers on most questions in the chemistry forums.

Post 26266 (missing)

(LaBTop: "CHEMISTRY  "LINKS"  COMPILATION update 07aug.", Newbee Forum)

I'm not sure if all links will still work after these years, just try. LT/

Edit: And this one, it's a bit chaotic reading, due to several boardsoftware hickups, but still is the biggest source onboard for anything chem related:

Post 27296 (missing)

(LaBTop: "CHEMICAL ENGINEERING LINKS updates:22/07", Newbee Forum)

Scroll down to ==========> gasses.

barkingburro

my two scents
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 08:53:00 PM »
isn't co2 a pretty poor choice of inert environ? or is it just me? especially when helium is so readily available at places like the world of wal. is that not the point of the noble gases? to be inert? perhaps co2 works fine in certain instances but why use something that is not going to work in all or atleast most cases. maybe im just overthingking it. cheers