Author Topic: Distilling the freebase  (Read 1951 times)

Potential

Distilling the freebase
« on: July 07, 2003, 10:13:00 AM »
I have been researching some procedures that I would like to dream up soon and, once again, just when I thought things were clear as glass, something comes up...
Once I have my ketone, I am interested in pursuing Methyl Man's Al/hg.  Now, I understand the process but I have recently stumbled across some posts touting the benefits of distilling the freebase.  Am I going crazy or does Methyl Man's writeup not include a distillation of the freebase?  I see at the end of the procedure he calls for a recrystallization of "raw odoriferous product" but I saw a post from Rhodium that stated both freebase distillation as well as recrystallization should be done.  Is recrystallization the only method Methyl Man uses to obtain a pure product?  Can an A/B & a distillation be done on the xylene after it has been washed and dried?
I am very interested in getting the purest product possible...I have chosen not to skimp on chems or equipment.  If anyone could help me out, that'd be greatly appreciated...

nitrous351

distill
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 10:52:00 AM »
I can't remember off the top of my head if MM distills his freebase or not, but if you want the purest product possible, do a distillation. It might cost you a few hours, but it's worth it.

OcoteaCymbarum

MM doesnt distill
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 10:56:00 AM »
But I would advise you do.
The minimum is a complete A/B, read the post from MaDMAx on the newbee forum.

After the A/B then you distill to get the freebase.

This is where I feel MM has left some pieces out because in his write-up, he doesnt even do an A/B, just cleans the xylene or toluene, meaning that anything soluble in the np will stay with the freebase as impurities.

Potential

When to distill...
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 12:29:00 PM »
Good, that's the conclusion I have come to also...and the few hours extra for a difference you can feel in the end product sounds like a good trade to me!

So, at what point after the amination should one distill?  Once the xylene is washed and dried?

hCiLdOdUeDn

First A/B it
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 03:26:00 PM »
First, A/B it. This will remove any unreacted MDP2P or anything that is not an amine. Then distill the freebase.

Rhodium

Request for help
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2003, 03:14:00 PM »
Can somebody please help me write an addendum to the MM method with a proper description of a A/B + distillation workup, and I'll add it to the document at my page.