Author Topic: Sassafras Oil Not For Sale?  (Read 2075 times)

calcium

Sassafras Oil Not For Sale?
« on: October 04, 2003, 04:28:00 PM »
For those of you interested in buying sassafras oil in the USA, things look grim. I spoke to an essential oil dealer yesterday who told me he no longer carries it as it is to become a listed chemical. He went on to say that he was not only denied an import license for it, but his stock on hand was siezed.

I'm only reporting what I was told so I have no verification that DEA is making the purchase of sassafras oil illegal. The man just said stay away from it because it just turned into trouble. Additionally, he said purchases of more than one gallon per month without a license are subject to a $250,000 fine, in addition to any other legal action.

Anyone else hear any such horror stories lately?

Vitus_Verdegast

Europe
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2003, 04:37:00 PM »
I've heard a rumor that in the EU sassafras oil will become listed too, and that within a couple of months you will need to sign an end-user-certificate when buying it.

Midi

For some time now..
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2003, 10:40:00 PM »
That has been the case in the US for over 6 mos. I wonder how big an effect it will have in the next couple years?? It may even become noticable sooner than that.. at least in the pure powder scene.

abuse

That doesn't sound good at all.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2003, 03:39:00 AM »
Purchase sassafras in Mexico instead. No dog is trained to smell for safrole.

If sassafras oil cannot be obtained, then what's the next best oil that contains an appreciable amount of safrole?

GC_MS

tss...
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2003, 07:36:00 PM »
I've heard a rumor that in the EU sassafras oil will become listed too, and that within a couple of months you will need to sign an end-user-certificate when buying it.

Tsss... even a shrimp like me can foresee that only small scale labs may have problems acquiring sassafras oil, hereby creating the possibility that organized crime's piece of the cake gets even bigger.

abuse: there are a few alternatives, but most of these oils are commercially not available. If you own a piece of land, my advice would be to look for plants with a high essential oil content that contains mainly safrole. For instance, I recently read (in Chemotaxonomie der Pflanzen III, p. 188) that Asarum sieboldii and Asarum heterotropoides grown in Japan can contain quite some safrole (next to methyleugenol and cineol). These plants are rather common in the Far East and can be grown in your personal marsh (if you happen to have one, like me  ;D ). If interested, I think you might want to take a look at: M Nagasawa. Analysis of Radix Asiasari by Infrared Spectrophotometry. J Pharm Soc Japan 81 (1961) 129.

foxy2

Advisories to the Public
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2003, 11:41:00 PM »
SAFROLE AND SASSAFRAS OIL
ARE BEING USED IN THE ILLICIT MANUFACTURE OF MDMA
The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and state/local law enforcement authorities throughout the United States have noted an alarming trend involving illicit MDMA production. MDMA (Ecstasy) is a major drug problem in the United States. All businesses engaged in the sale of safrole and essential oils rich in safrole, such as, sassafras oil, "brown" camphor oil or camphor oil 1.070, also referred to as Chinese sassafras oil, should be aware of the use of these products by clandestine MDMA laboratory operators.

Criminal elements routinely use these List I chemicals in the illicit production of MDMA. DEA is aware that these criminals are searching, often over the Internet, for sources of supply for these List I chemicals.

This notice is being provided to:

Make you aware that safrole and essential oils rich in safrole, such as sassafras oil, and brown camphor oil or camphor oil 1.070, are List I chemicals;

Remind all distributors of these products that they must be registered with DEA, obtain identifying information from their customers, keep records, report suspicious orders to DEA, and "know their customer," to avoid unwittingly becoming a supplier to a clandestine MDMA laboratory;

Advise all distributors of these List I chemicals that it is unlawful for any person to possess or distribute a listed chemical knowing, or having reasonable cause to believe, that the listed chemical will be used to manufacture a controlled substance in violation of the Controlled Substances Act…21 U.S.C. 841(c)(2). Persons who violate 21 U.S.C. 841(c)(2) and/or the recordkeeping and reporting requirements are subject to criminal and/or civil penalties.
05/01/03

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/chem_prog/advisories/safrole.htm

abuse

According to that bulletin, sassafras oil is...
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2003, 12:45:00 AM »
According to that bulletin, sassafras oil is a List 1 chemical.

To be honest, it's only a matter of time before underground chemists find another precursor to make MDMA. Don't forget, there's always eugenol...