Author Topic: New Clean Gassing Method!  (Read 25391 times)

VideoEditor

New Clean Gassing Method!
« on: February 04, 2002, 12:52:00 PM »
Gassing is a love hate kind of thing and none of the current methods seem to
perform consistently or safely. Some methods make too much and some make too
little.  Most are difficult to control, more importantly difucult to stop.  SWIVE
has rusted more tools and electronic equipment than he cares to think of. Had a
gassing bottle blow up once (hose clogged suddenly, while he wasn't watching) and
suck back can ruin your whole day. Most drain cleaner Sulfuric Acid contains
foaming additives that create a dangerous mess.

I have tried all the various gassing methods ie: Sulfuric Acid & Salt, Sulfuric
Acid & HCL, Aluminum & HCL, Air bubbled through HCL, but I've never been totally
happy with any of them. The methods using Sulfuric Acid always taste and/or smell
funny. The Aluminum & HCL is wet, week, messy and generates too much heat. The
Air bubbled through HCL is clean but is a little slow for SWIVE's taste. So SWIVE
started thinking how could he improve the process. After all we're just trying to
seperate the HCL from the water, right?

Introducing -> HCL over calcium chloride! Now before you start to whine about how
this won't work like your current method, try this.

Materials

(1) Plastic Wash Bottle
(1) Box of Damp Rid (calcium chloride)
Muratic Acid (HCL)
Something that needs gassing

Method

Take the plastic wash bottle and remove the center tube that runs to the bottom.
Fill the bottle 1/3 full of Damp Rid. Now carefully add muratic acid until about
2/3 of the Damp Rid is covered. Let this sit for 2 minutes.  Your Done!

Usage

To gas you simply squeeze the wash bottle, thats right, insert the tip of the
wash bottle into whatever your gassing and squeeze. pull the tip out before the
end of the squeeze to avoid sucking whatever your gassing into the bottle. Repeat
as needed. You will be surprised at the concentration and dryness of the HCL
produced.  You will also be surprised at how long that small amount of muratic
acid will last. Just shake the bottle every now and then and it will keep coming.
One fill usually lasts SWIVE several rxn's until a refill is needed. Clean,
simple, controllable and no liquid acid to accidenly spill or leak into your
product.

SWIVE used TFSE and did not see a mention of this method, so he thinks it is
original (pat on the back) Now where's the Hive Patent Office. Next I will post
a similar method to produce a constant stream of HCL for you 1/4 pounder cooks.

Real Men Don't Preview Their Edits

PrimoPyro

Re: New Clean Gassing Method!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2002, 02:21:00 PM »
Quarter pounder cooks? Please! That's a measley 125g! Come on! Is there seriously anybody here that will admit to operating in any quantity under 800g?  :P

If you want to post about fit-in-your-pocket-sized gassing apparati, then take your larvae level ideas to the Newbee Forum. Oh, wait, that's where we are!  ;D  :P  ::)  ;)

Seriously, I believe that I have heard of this method before, sonny, and it is a winner. Thanks for drudging it up again. I was only a playin' wit' ya.  8)

EDIT: Just to make it clear: I was only playing, and really do like your idea.

PrimoPyro

Vivent Longtemps la Ruche!

VideoEditor

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2002, 04:20:00 PM »
kapten: this method generates gas by squeezing the bottle. 4L might be a little big to fit in one hand.  Wait for the continuous stream model to be posted soon...

Jetson

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2002, 07:07:00 PM »
good stuff VE,  can't wait to see the cont. stream model.  one thing though swij feels really dumb about, i'm sure swij could find something else to use but what kind of bottle are you talking about exactly?  remove the center tube???  huh???  swij is lost on that...  just curious...

VideoEditor

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2002, 08:56:00 PM »
Jetson:  It's a plastic wash bottle.  Look at any chem supply company cat. or our favorite on-line auction place.  Their cheap so get several, they come in handy for tone washes and other stuff...

cheeseboy

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2002, 09:24:00 PM »
I think VE's talking about those white, opaqueish, clear water bottles or liquid holding bottles. You know, like those portable eye-wash bottles. Kind of like a water bottle on your Mountain Bike. You know those toker machines that are made from water bottles. The exact same idea, but a joint is put in the hole instead of the centre tube and the joint is put in with the lit end right inside the bottle. Just squeeze the bottle and smoke comes out the end for a nice toke.
  This seems  like a very good way of producing HCl gas. I like that idea lots, only cheese isn't familiar with damp rid.And cheese never gasses anyways, but has tried all three ways (HCl/NaCl/H2SO4- HCl/Al- H2SO4.NaCl) He's read about DampRid in Zubricks though and has a pretty good idea what it is like. Turns blue upon H2O.
kool karl :)

May The Source Bee With You....Always.

- OB1KNoBee

NightFiend

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2002, 10:43:00 PM »
Hey Hive Prodigy,

A QP is 113.4 grams, not 125.

Figured I'd clear that up.

Fiend  8)

Pacing around and gibbering to myself...

CRAPSHOOT

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2002, 01:19:00 AM »
When choosing any plastic bottle for acids or solvents you need to know what type of plastic.

Don't want to learn that one the hard way.
LDPE, HDPE, PP, PPCO, FEP, & TFE are fine with HCl.

BenWiFFen

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2002, 01:46:00 AM »
Nothing beats the old garden (hudson) sprayer. Get a small plastic one with the hose for spraying comming out the top. H2s04 and rock(small) salt with a piece of air stone pushed in the end of the hose.

Gear Driven

VinnyC

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2002, 02:05:00 AM »
Dwarfer's rig (bubbling HCL) has worked great for SWIM. If it's too slow for you, you are too impatient.

"Have we descended to the level of dumb beasts?" Fear & Loathing

VideoEditor

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2002, 02:53:00 AM »
an example of wash bottles:

http://www.imageevent.com/beenice7711/items

PrimoPyro

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2002, 03:13:00 AM »
Ah yes Mr. Fiend, but you know I'll bet that SWIPP's customers are much happier people than yours with such a measurement system.  ;)

PrimoPyro

Vivent Longtemps la Ruche!

VideoEditor

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2002, 03:36:00 AM »
BenWiFFen: SWIVE's last gasser was the H2SO4 on rock salt variety, but my dog always complained of an unpleasent sulfate taste in the end product.  Even after re-crystalizing there always seemed to be a trace there.  My dogs sense of smell is amazing.

If you like try this next time;  Fill 1/4 the volume of your bug sprayer with Calcium Chloride.  Add muratic acid so about 2/3rds of it is covered.  Pop the top on. Wait a few minutes for the water to start to be absorbed.  Pump up some pressure, Gas away.  See if you don't notice a difference in taste.

PoohBear4Ever

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2002, 03:41:00 AM »
Why don't you be a little more scientific about this, and give some weights for the proper ratios...

Geesh, I have no clue what you mean by this statement:

Fill 1/4 the volume of your bug sprayer with Calcium Chloride.  Add muratic acid so about 2/3rds of it is covered.

JMO,

PB

pandemonium

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2002, 04:03:00 AM »

Dwarfer's rig (bubbling HCL) has worked great for SWIM. If it's too slow for you, you are too impatient.

Right on, a pump, a bubbler, HCL, salt, and a dryer, then the solvent, and so on, a little automation is a magnificent thing. Got to mount a light just right, for the visual, then you take a smoke break and 5 min later you are good to go.

solutions-expensive and varied, dumb looks-still no charge

Scottydog

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2002, 05:21:00 AM »
Great information VE! Swis doesn't gas but with the overall ease of this method he just might have to theoretically give it a try... :)

goiterjoe

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2002, 05:48:00 AM »
dwarfer's bubbler system takes longer than the reaction itself, and isn't useful for anything over nano scale.  Seriously, anyone working that small should just titrate in hydrochloric acid and evaporate; it'd be quicker.

I like the sound of calcium chloride and hydrochloric acid for nano scale though.  Nice work.

If Pacman had influenced us, we'd run around dark rooms eating pills and listen to repetitive music

Shooting_Star

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2002, 07:22:00 AM »
One other thing on the use of the plastic wash bottles -- If you have more than one lying about with stuff in them -- LABEL them.  (Nothing worse for this than grabbing the one with dH2O instead of HCl!)

burn-out only occurs if you go too fast in the wrong direction

pandemonium

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2002, 07:43:00 AM »
No wonder you have been out of sorts Joe, you need to cook that shit longer. Much longer, IodoE being a neurotoxin and all, or maybe cut down drastically. As for how much how fast, that would depend on the pump, would it not smartass?  your statement is just straight up BS, and I ain't gonna dignify it with any more debate, I criticized no method posted, just stated a fucking fact, Jack. - I have used it and I ain't fucking nanoing. Like I said dood, automation.

These beez know enough physics to know who is talking out his ass here too, so don't even try to draw me in.

solutions-expensive and varied, dumb looks-still no charge

blaztoff

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2002, 11:54:00 AM »
Fman has put the best method by far. Microwave produced HCL gas. Microwave Chemistry is the shit.