Author Topic: URGENT PAA question??  (Read 2605 times)

benzoateFan

URGENT PAA question??
« on: July 29, 2004, 04:09:00 AM »

lugh

Re: ok guys im going on the benzyl chloride...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 01:20:00 PM »

ok guys im going on the benzyl chloride synth for PAA and it says u need to use sodium dried ether... i wanted to know can u Substitute acetone instead or is acetone useful??

Acetone is a ketone, and thus contains a carbonyl group  :P  It's obvious from your post that you're totally unfamiliar with the Grignard reaction, before attempting this you need to study a lot more organic chemistry; and read until you comprehend all the posts here applicable to your question  ;)

benzoateFan

dont want to be rude here but it seems that u...
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 08:02:00 AM »
dont want to be rude here but it seems that u guys make this big fuss over people asking simple questions like the one i asked, it shouldnt be ur place to say read this or read that, its a forum people usually post questions and they usually have them answered.
Now if mine is so simple and so easy why is it that i never get a straght out answer or it always takes 4+ replies to finally explain "look i just wanted to know that" i mean if u guys know it then just say it, my question was simple....
Geeez.. stop making things complicated, noone has yet to tell me how to properly make PAA, and dont give me this UTFSE crap, it seems as if noone really know to be honest :P

Rhodium

carbonation of grignard reagents
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 10:17:00 AM »
Here is the proper procedure:

Synthesis of Phenylacetic Acid

(https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/phenylacetic.html)

A more detailed procedure for the reaction between grignard reagents and CO2 can be found on page 358 in

Vogel's Practical Organic Chemistry

(https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/vogel3.html)

Before you begin, read and understand the precautions in

Post 520704

(lutesium: "Grignard Rxn - Important points", Newbee Forum)

ApprenticeCook

Just as easy to say........
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 02:43:00 PM »

lugh

Using the Search Engine Isn't a Waste of Time !!!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 03:59:00 AM »

dont want to be rude here but it seems that u guys make this big fuss over people asking simple questions like the one i asked, it shouldnt be ur place to say read this or read that, its a forum people usually post questions and they usually have them answered.
Now if mine is so simple and so easy why is it that i never get a straght out answer or it always takes 4+ replies to finally explain "look i just wanted to know that" i mean if u guys know it then just say it, my question was simple....
Geeez.. stop making things complicated, noone has yet to tell me how to properly make PAA, and dont give me this UTFSE crap, it seems as if noone really know to be honest

Obviously, you didn't read the Rules when your registered, or the FAQ; you need to remedy your ignorance  :)  Sorry to say, you're not in a postion to set the rules of the Hive  8)  If you would have used the search engine, which you seem to think is too much trouble, you could have found these threads on the subject:

Post 476132

(lugh: "Preparations", Newbee Forum)

Post 174958 (missing)

(lugh: "Re: Grignard Startup", Methods Discourse)

Post 174921 (missing)

Post 174765 (missing)

Post 321872 (missing)

(lugh: "Phenylacetic acid", Chemistry Discourse)

Post 481314

(lugh: "Grignard Tips and Procedures", Chemistry Discourse)

Post 484748

(lugh: "Limitations of the Grignard Reaction", Stimulants)

Post 518461

(lugh: "Important Details are Lacking", Chemistry Discourse)

Post 450018

(lugh: "Purity", Chemicals & Equipment)

Post 323023

(lugh: "Carboxylic Acids", Chemistry Discourse)

Post 247093

(lugh: "Re: Drying Ether With NaOH", Chemistry Discourse)

There are scores of other posts that could bee helpful to you, but until you learn to use the search engine, you will bee unable to find them so you can read them  :P  The Hive isn't a question posting forum, it's a forum for the sharing of ideas  ;)  I see no reason to keep posting the same information over and over to please lazy newbees, so as long as you continue to post the kind of questions you have been, you will continue to get bad karma, if you don't like it, don't let the door hit you in the ass  ;D