Author Topic: Enzymes to replace Strike? ; )... -Teonanacatl  (Read 2448 times)

dormouse

Enzymes to replace Strike? ; )... -Teonanacatl
« on: April 25, 2000, 12:23:00 AM »

the Hive BB
  Novel Discourse
  Enzymes to replace Strike? ; )...

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic 
Author  Topic:   Enzymes to replace Strike? ; )... 
Teonanacatl
Member   posted 11-22-1999 10:18 PM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While looking up those refs for the claviceps bit (other thread), I serendipitously (sp?) ran across a paper entitled "Enantioselective reduction of 3,4-methylene-dioxyphenylacetone using Candida famata and Zygosaccharomyces rouxii". I'll throw a bit of the abstract to you:
"In an effort to prepare 3,4-methylene-dioxyphenyl-(S)-isopropanol from 3,4-methylenedioxyphenylacetone, an initial screen of microbes indicated that Candida famata could catalyze this reaction efficiently at low substrate concentration...[the productivity] was too low to be practical...Zygosaccharomyces rouxii was more tolerant to higher substrate concentrations and had a higher productivity...could be used in a large-scale process at high substrate concentrations."
-Teo

------------------
"The methods have become unbelievably devious, and these are the seeds which may sow the destruction of the human race." - Hive

Xaja
Member   posted 11-23-1999 01:11 AM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why would you want to do that? You want the ketone, not the alcohol - you'll be going backwards!

K.C. Nicolaou
Member   posted 11-23-1999 01:29 AM          
Oh, maybe in about 50-100 years or so when the uses of biological or bio-mimetic catalyst systems are well-developed as synthetic techniques. Realistically, this is probably the future of organic chemistry, but the science is very, very far from being practically useful anytime soon.

Teonanacatl
Member   posted 11-23-1999 01:44 AM          
I wouldn't want to do that...just interesting to run across a reaction like this, especially since many enzymes can run the same reaction in reverse...K.C. you're probably right...I should change the name of this topic to Enzymes to replace Strike's great-grandchildren...
-Teo

------------------
"The methods have become unbelievably devious, and these are the seeds which may sow the destruction of the human race." - Hive

FreeFlow
Member   posted 11-23-1999 08:31 PM          
ggee man ever seen a PDR this method is in commoner use that given credit many usefull substances are accuruired for processing from substrata preformed by upon by these um critters, such is widly in acord with many antibiotics, rember penacillian???

FreeFlow
Member   posted 11-23-1999 08:33 PM          
I am putting my hope in horseradish extract and uopn hoasre radish perioxidases as well as normal brewer yeast type stuff, actual insect droppinggs might be used? as well as whole insects, this has not been optomized thank goodness???

Alloy
Member   posted 11-23-1999 09:32 PM          
Arrggghhh!!!
F'Man is back incognito!

Teonanacatl
Member   posted 11-24-1999 12:00 AM          
Is he actually getting at something?...
-Teo

All times are CT (US)
 next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
    Hop to: Select a Forum or ArchiveList of Forums:General DiscussionAcquisition DiscourseChemistry DiscourseMethods DiscourseNovel DiscourseCrystal MethSerious Chemistry ForumThe Hive CouchSerious Tryptamine DiscourseAdmin Chill-out TentList of Archives:Couch ArchivesClassics!Law and OrderThe litter box.misc. PEAs  

Contact Us | the Hive