Author Topic: LSD chromatographia  (Read 4120 times)

Freemings

LSD chromatographia
« on: February 15, 2004, 06:33:00 AM »
Hello,

First I don't speak english well. But, I think I'm ok to tell you my information needs. I'm not ok for make chromatographia (I think it's a method for verify na ?). Then on tihkal lsd article. He said "The residue was chromatographed over alumina with elution employing a 3:1 C6H6/CHCl3 mixture, and the collected fraction stripped of solvent under hard vacuum to a constant weight. This free-base solid can be recrystallized from benzene to give white crystals with a melting point of 87-92 °C. IR (in cm-1): 750, 776, 850, 937 and 996, with the carbonyl at 1631. The mass spectrum of the free base has a strong parent peak at mass 323, with sizable fragments at masses of 181, 196, 207 and 221." So can I bypass this line cuz I understand nothing and it's seems to be just a verification ? Thank very much !

foxy2

No its used as a purification step and is...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 06:44:00 AM »
No its used as a purification step and is probably necessary.  Its not that complicated, if you have the reagents necessary to produce LSD I would recommend skiping anything.

Its like this, except the silica gel = alumina for LSD.

Look here

http://orgchem.colorado.edu/hndbksupport/colchrom/colchrom.html

Sangreal

you can purchase thin layer chromatography...
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 08:53:00 PM »
you can purchase thin layer chromatography plates made of aluminum and silicia.  You need a developing chamber to place the plates in, a beaker should work fine, just cover the beaker up.  Elution reers to eluent,  the eluent is a small amount of liquid you place at the bottom of your developing chamber which moves up your plate to displace your spotted sample, this showers measure the Rf (retention/retarded factor).  Though what he is referring to at the end is IR (infrared) spectroscopy.  The peaks he refers to are functional groups which the IR spectroscopy detects.  If you want more information i'd suggest reading up on TLC Chromatography, IR Spectroscopy, Column Chromatography and Gas Chromatography.  Thease are all good laboratory techqniues to analyze samples.

Freemings

Thank you
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 04:34:00 AM »
Hello,

thank you very much for all your informations. I think I will simply go to book places and and carefully read about the subject in my native language. Thanks again good bye

wyndowlicker

hey now,
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 09:36:00 PM »
HEy now,

Now this is the pimp daddy of chromo columns.HAs removable stopcock,threaded top,and has a water jacket.Now thats worth the money.No digging out your column with this puppy! :P

hest

Dry collum chromatography
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 10:45:00 AM »
read Vogel's 5'th p. 220, this is the only way to run a coolum today.
You pack a 5cm long collum with small silica (15-40 or 'TLC-grade) in an high wallet buchner funnel -
then wash whit mixtures of hexane:EtOAc (100% hexane, then 90%hexane:10% EtOAc, then 80%hexane:20% EtOAc and so on.).
For some reason this method disapered in the 50's you use much less solvent and much less silica. The split is as good   as an ordinarie TLC'plate.