Author Topic: Use of NaBr/H2O2 in the benz alc -> aldehyde synth  (Read 2587 times)

TrickEMethod

Use of NaBr/H2O2 in the benz alc -> aldehyde synth
« on: December 18, 2002, 09:23:00 AM »
A voice from the back of my mind deteriourating mind, is whispering that NaBr and H2O2 has been used to produce Hbr in the pot for other reactions.  If I am not just short on sleep, could this option be compatable with the interesting looking DMSO+HBR+benz alcohol-> benaldehyde synthysis?

Just poking in the dark, and I have NaBr, H2O2, Br2 but I don't have HBr and am too fucking scared to crack open that bottle of ACS elemental Br2 again.  Oh, my God, that shit is evil as fuck. (And I only rinsed and spit  ;) )

And on the eight day, God created Meth...
... and hasn't done much of anything usefull since!

Rhodium

If you chill the bromine to just below 0°C before ...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2002, 09:16:00 PM »
If you chill the bromine to just below 0°C before opening the bottle, it is almost not fuming at all. Don't chill too much though, it freezes at -6°C and cannot be poured.

TrickEMethod

My garage in May would probably not be my ...
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2002, 04:26:00 AM »
My garage in May would probably not be my recomendation, for sure.  I don't know why or how I didn't drop the bottle or fling it on myself, because most every other reaction after remoeing the top was involentary.  I was embarassingly foolish to even crack the seal on the bottle without a better understanding of its nature, but fortunaly I had an isreale full facial gas mask with a broad toxin filter in place on the bench 15" away.  Should have had it in my hood, but I mostly wished to gage its agressiveness for future consideratino.

Well, found out it'll fuckin kill ya.

And on the eight day, God created Meth...
... and hasn't done much of anything usefull since!