Author Topic: oihkal?  (Read 2601 times)

pickle11

oihkal?
« on: November 26, 2002, 04:28:00 AM »
correct me if im wrong.
1. tartaric acid can be isolated from cream of tartar.
2. tartaric acid can be reduced to succinic acid using I/H2S.
3. succinic acid can be neutralized with ammonium hydroxide and heated to form succinamide.
4. succinamide can be reacted ala

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/nbs.html

to yield n-bromosuccinamide
5. n-bromosuccinamide can be used ala

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/ppa.synthesis.html

to convert propenylbenzenes (asarone,anethole,isosafrole,isomyristicin,isoelemicin) into phenylpropanolamines
6. phenylpropanolamines can be reacted with cyanogen bromide to yield various ring substituted methylaminorex analogs. 
oxazolines i have known and loved.  I dont think any of them would be controlled substances or classified as analogs.

Rhodium

Yes, technically. But if you don't want to buy ...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2002, 05:28:00 AM »
Yes, technically. But if you don't want to buy NBS, then please buy succinimide or at least succinic anhydride - those two are not watched the least. Aqueous bromine also does the same job as NBS, but not as cleanly (= lower yield). But a whole lot less work than your proposition, I promise.

Also, it is much easier to make aminorex analogs from PPAs using potassium cyanate than with cyanogen bromide - the former is non-toxic, the latter is a vile volatile poison.

pickle11

bromohydrine?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2002, 05:48:00 AM »
what about the bromohydrine in the ppa synth.  is that repaceable, available, easily synthesized?

Rhodium

As I said, you can make that with aqueous bromine ...
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2002, 05:54:00 AM »
As I said, you can make that with aqueous bromine instead of NBS - UTFSE here or at

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/search-bool.html

L42L

Could you elaborate?
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2002, 12:22:00 AM »
I'm afraid I need more info. Searched a few key  words (or so i thought ) into TFSE and am at a loss.
Asarone-ppa ala aq Br !?! 
Any sugestions/hints/info/direction from any bee concerning this would be fab.

thanks,
lurk

Rhodium

Search for "bromohydrin".
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2002, 11:30:00 AM »
Search for "bromohydrin". Compounds with adjacent OH and Br groups are called that. Then you just select one of the preparations you find which doesn't use NBS.

L42L

help with succinic acid to succinamide
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2003, 07:56:00 PM »
Could some bee help with a theoretical procedure for this. Ammonium hydroxide and heat? The idea of synthing a new compound (even if it is a questionable aminorex) is thrilling to say the least. Thanks for the spark pickle11.

Thanks beez,
Lurk

BTW Rhodium: It aint much but its more than nothing. Its in the mail this weekend ($) Your efforts are truly priceless. Thanks!

SPISSHAK

I like that concept
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2003, 08:16:00 PM »
oxazolamines I have known and loved sounds like an intersting sequel to the phenylethylamines, too bad no one has done any research on the pharmacology or chemistry of ring substituded phenyloxazolamines.

starlight

just be aware of this
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2003, 12:34:00 PM »

Post 346726 (missing)

(Dr_Heckyll: "4-Methylaminorex Dangers", General Discourse)