Author Topic: How can DMT fumarate be prepared from the freebase  (Read 4508 times)

Mr_D

How can DMT fumarate be prepared from the freebase
« on: August 22, 2002, 02:19:00 PM »
How can DMT fumarate be prepared from the freebase? How can it be purified?

Lilienthal

Just an idea...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2002, 11:43:00 AM »
Maybe you could try to dissolve the base and fumaric acid (HOOC=COOH) in THF (or ether or something else - try some solvents) and mix the solutions. The salt should precipitate (maybe after cooling for a while). Use excess acid to get the acidic 1:1 salt or exactly 0.5 molar equivalents to get the neutral 2:1 salt. Recrystallize from THF or another suitable solvent.

Mr_D

Thank you.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2002, 11:47:00 AM »
Thank you.

hest

Ethanol is a good solvent for the fumerats, but ...
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2002, 02:07:00 PM »
Ethanol is a good solvent for the fumerats, but make the neutral salt, the 1:1 is not as fun to get into the nose :-)

Mr_D

Forgive my ignorance, but why cant the nuetral ...
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2002, 09:31:00 PM »
Why cant the nuetral salt be prepared in ethanol?

terbium

Misunderstanding.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2002, 09:46:00 PM »
Why cant the nuetral salt be prepared in ethanol?
As far as I can tell, hest did not say this. He is just recomending that you do make the neutral salt.

Mr_D

Oh your right. I missread his post.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2002, 09:56:00 PM »
Oh your right. I missread his post.

hest

You can make all the salts in ethanol.
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2002, 03:56:00 AM »
You can make all the salts in ethanol. But the acid one is to burning, this also goes to the amphetamin annalog.

Mr_D

Just two more question.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2002, 09:56:00 PM »
Just two more question. Is the 2:1 salt soluable in ethanol? Was the 2:1 salt used in the New Mexico studies? 

Whether you like it or not, soon you might have a massive DMT flash.

urushibara

dmt tartrate
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2003, 03:23:00 AM »
I might be pushing it here, but I just want people to know that dmt makes a crystalline dry salt with tartaric acid.

I have bioassayed this salt three times with definite effects, I am in no doubt that it works. My swim is working on growing some nice big crystals so everyone can see that it's real.

Rhodium

Nice, but exactly how?
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2003, 04:20:00 PM »
Can you post a detailed description of the preparation of the tartrate, with specific amounts, solvents, yield, mp etc?

urushibara

SWIM's but a pov ghetto extractionist
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2003, 04:36:00 PM »
Well, it's like this:

Extract freebase DMT from plant material. Place freebase in scales, weigh (using cheap plastic slide balance with markings to 25mg accuracy), add about the same weight of tartaric acid (possibly slightly less is better), add water and mix until base moves into aqueous acidic solution, then evaporate on a pyrex dish. Crystals produced, if done rapidly with fan assistance, are radial pinwheels, if done slowly - without fan assistance - are hexagonal/needles and tend to grow quite long. SWIM is waiting for a slow crystallisation so adequately large crystals can be imaged.

IV bioassay proves tartrate salts are active. SWIM tried to make neutral salts by neutralising with NaOH but had a lot of trouble getting precisely pH 6, hence a lot of sodium tartrate was in the first run (makes a hot burny head feeling). Second run SWIM is doing without neutralising. If a method for separating dmt tartrate and tartaric acid can be found this will make things a lot easier. Or perhaps a method might be suggested. Sadly SWIM can't measure precise weights and all that jazz, he's too poor to have good scales or glassware. Recrystallisation purification is a definite possible method of resulting in optimal purity. Probably a week or more to do that though. When SWIM has excess he will start playing with more purifications.

Some SWIM with good equipment and pure synthetic dmt might be able to illuminate us on it's physical properties, solubility in water, ethanol and acetone, mp/bp, this stuff would be nice to know. Certainly it appears to be quite readily soluble in water.

edit:
oh, the crystals are optically active too, very obvious with rapid evaporation, look a lot like pseudo HCl crystals.