Author Topic: Can i stop after performic glycolization isosaf?  (Read 1223 times)

rudebwoy

Can i stop after performic glycolization isosaf?
« on: February 05, 2004, 04:34:00 AM »
I'm in a time jam and was wondering if i can stop after distilling the dcm out of the orange dcm mix from post performic glycolization of isosafrole before hydrolyzing with sulfuric.

if so, should i be putting the dark orange mess in to freezer or something?
what kind of time frame do i have before putting it under acid hydrolization?
how stable is the orange mess?

tnx.

baalchemist

This response may be a little late for your...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 04:35:00 AM »
This response may be a little late for your purposes, nonetheless you can take a break before hydrol-step. Refridgerated is good for storage of the orange syrup until it is needed again.

abolt

Don't store for too long
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 08:42:00 PM »
Swim has seen glycol that was stored for 3 months (freezer) turn brown and become useless.

slackdaddy

If you wash the acid out before you remove the
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 06:37:00 AM »
If you wash the acid out before you remove the DCM, it will keep at room temperature for a long, long time.

Swim is still using stuff that has been kept in a closet from a year ago with no loss of quantity or quality of ketone.

If you don't remove the acid, don't expect to keep it long.  Formic is nasty stuff to leave the glycol soaking in.

FYI, after 2x water washes, 2x saturated bicarb, 2x more water, brine, and DCM removal, swim is left with a light yellow-orange syrup instead of a dark red-orange syrup.  I would assume that the red is tar and formic.

It is a little bit of trouble, and not needed if you are going to run the synth all the way through, but if storing for more than a few days is the plan, this is my advice.

Slack