Author Topic: Getto vaccum pump for filtration and distillation.  (Read 3928 times)

ADDkid

Getto vaccum pump for filtration and distillation.
« on: April 29, 2004, 06:54:00 PM »
Once day swig was thinking about how he would get a cheap vacuum source without doing pluming or spending too much.  Then he saw a vaccum pump for inflatable beds, cost around 14 dollars, works well, you also need to get a hard rubber tube that will fit both in and out. I couldn't belive how well it worked, never tried on distillation, but don't see why not.

grandpa

simply because...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 08:18:00 PM »
but don't see why not.

Simply because :

a) Distillation will normally take way much longer than inflating a bed.

b) Distillation take way more vacuum than what you can expect from such a device.

Forget about this idea, but you may think about a refrigerator pump...

ADDkid

Don't be so damm negative, I felt the suction...
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 09:37:00 PM »
Don't be so damm negative, I felt the suction when using for vacuum filtration, and I guarantee  it could boil water at 75C or higher, before you run your mouth know what you are talking about. Hell, I might even be able to get it down to 65C ADDkid
Next time I reply I will have the results

ApprenticeCook

A air-bed pump?? must bee a ...
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 11:44:00 PM »
A air-bed pump?? must bee a TURBO version!

But hell put up some results so we can see what the water boils at and hence get a vacuum strength... good to you for doing something new...

grandpa hang up before going off... we are alwasys in need of new ideas... however you are right, distillation vacuum needs to be strong and reliable and i cant see this design in reality being either... so rig up of a refridgerator pump is better...

but ADDkid go for it, build it, give us a diagram and show us how to make it and also give up some actual tested results.... get the vacuum strength, may be of some use for some of us... i think it would be good for filtration, as swims vac pump is in use for distillations this could be doing other things... its all about prodcutivity!  8)

rangahtank

doesn't last
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 08:21:00 AM »
SWIR has one, he even uses it for filtration.  It adds some vaccuum for filtration, but the problem is: it just doesn't hold up.

After 10 or so uses, the motor gets really weak (SWIR thinks that all the solvents passing through must play havoc with internal parts)  Also, if it's the battery operated/rechargeable one, it will never work for distillation, the battery just doesn't last long enough even for one simple distillation.

ApprenticeCook

for filtration or distillation you should use...
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 05:04:00 AM »
for filtration or distillation you should use a catch / filter system for any vacuum source... unless you want to slowly (in some cases quickly!) ruin your pump / aspirator or air-bed pump even...

-AC

xxxxx

venturi vacuum pump
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 08:25:00 AM »
i once saw a venturi vacuum pump. this device uses a stream of compressed air (90 psi) flowing through a venturi to produce a vacuum. device was very compact and flow of compressed air was very low. do not recall price, and do not know rating of vacuum produced.

Phlegm

Cheap/free reliable vacuum pump
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2004, 08:33:00 PM »
Go to a "pull you're own part" auto salvage yard and get a pump for $10.00 tops (or better yet raid the place at night and get it for free - just look out for the junkyard dogs!). A shitload of GM's larger late '70's and 80's full sized cars featured automatically adjusting air shock absorber sysytems. A number of Ford products had a similiar system. Part of these systems is a small 13.8 volt operated piston air compressor that supplied the air for these shocks on demand. They are usually mounted under the hood on the fender wells, sometimes more toward the front of the vehicle. They have a little black tank on them that contains a dessicant to dry the air as it leaves the pump and a thin plastic airline runs from this tank to the distributing part of the setup. Most of these pumps have a little nipple similiar to filter flask nipple. It is the air intake for the pump. Put some tubing on the nipple and you have a vacuum pump. Works very well and pulls a strong vacuum. Might not be ideal for distillation (it would work though) but is excellent for filtering.

I've got dozens of them. Figured I'd just use them w/o a trap and when it failed due to corrosion I'd just hook up another one. Never had one fail yet, though.

DrLucifer

Air bed pumps.
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2004, 06:42:00 PM »
These could serve useful as a disposable type vacuum source if one was on the move constantly.
I used to sell these things in a camping store and they really are quite handy, however i have not used one for vacuum distillation or filtration.
They come in 12V, 240V and rechargeable varieties, in australia anyhow. Obviously if one was interested, you would need to buy the inflator/deflator type, and 110v if in us!
Power leads on these rigs range from 2-6m in length and they usually come with an array of nozzle adaptors (4-5), so theres a good chance you will find one which fits nicely into your tubing.
We stocked several brands and there was a noticable difference in quality. We ran a simple test once using 2x 12V, 1x 240V and a rechargeable device, by inflating/deflating a single air mattress.
If i remember correctly, there was around 15 seconds seperating the winner from the loser in both cases.
Basically, find a reliable brand name rig becase it will last longer and provide stronger vacuum.
Ideally, you would run a liquid trap inline, as i dont think suckback would do these rigs much justice, however the vacuum may be too weak it this is done.
Experimentation is needed. I have a 12v rig in my camping box, but i recently bounced my vacuum adaptor on a concrete floor..they dont bounce too well  :(

Vitus_Verdegast

UTFSE
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2004, 07:04:00 PM »
Refridgerator pumps. For free at your local dumpster.

I'm using mine for 4+ years, never had complaints. Just change the oil from time to time, and put a fan on it so the pump doesn't get hot.

Also, two pumps in series makes a stronger vacuum.