Author Topic: Laugh now, cry later.  (Read 2285 times)

RedMonn_16

Laugh now, cry later.
« on: January 05, 2003, 01:13:00 AM »
Reflux diethyl phthalate with LiAlH4 in dry ether to get 2 equivalents of EtOH (to be discarded) for every one equivalent of 1,2-dihydroxymethylbenzene (to be saved). 

React said compound with SOCl2 to get 1,2-dichloromethylbenzene.  Formylate.  Condensively reduce with nitroethane and ammonium acetate catalyst, purify and again reduce with LiAlH4 in dry ether to get 3,4-dichloromethylamphetamine (DCMA).  Use a minimum amount of LAH in the last step to avoid dechlorination.

DCMA will be active.

Rhodium

Another imagined "factoid"?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2003, 01:23:00 AM »
Active? Yes, very possible, but what kind of activity? Simple stimulant, serotonin releasing agent, or a psychedelic?

And how about its potential for toxicity? Isn't exposed benzyl halides very likely to alkylate some bio-molecule you'd rather keep in its original condition?

Barium

Please enlighten me
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2003, 12:52:00 PM »
How do you get the N-methylated 3,4-dichloroamphetamine by reducing the nitropropene with LAH? Maybe you have some new trick we are unware of?
I not doubting that DCA or DCMA will show some activity. But what about the neurotoxicity? p-CA is a known and nasty neurotoxin.

Rhodium

Bad IUPAC
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2003, 02:20:00 PM »
He is referring to 3,4-bis(chloromethyl)-amphetamine, not 3,4-dichloro-methamphetamine. Still, it's a wonder he manages to reduce a nitrostyrene with LAH in the presence of benzylic halides without reducing the latter.

Barium

A wonder
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2003, 02:30:00 PM »
Is the least I would say

yellium

1 equiv. of LAH might do the trick.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2003, 02:39:00 PM »
1 equiv. of LAH might do the trick. (or does that only work for -Br?)

Rhodium

Not for benzylic halides
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2003, 03:54:00 PM »
Hardly for benzylic halides, although restrictive LAH use may spare aromatic halides.

Osmium

> Reflux diethyl phthalate with LiAlH4 in...
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2003, 05:45:00 PM »
> Reflux diethyl phthalate with LiAlH4 in dry ether to get
> 2 equivalents of EtOH (to be discarded) for every one
> equivalent of 1,2-dihydroxymethylbenzene (to
> be saved). 

Where does that methyl come from?

> React said compound with SOCl2 to get 1,2-dichloromethylbenzene.

Interesting reaction! I didn't know it was possible. Any refs, general procedures, writeups?

> Formylate. 

How? Yielding what product?

I can't help it, all your "factoids" seem to be nothing but a big pile of bullshit. When you present fiction as fact at least try to keep the chemistry sound. What you present here is not even worth a reply. I will simply lock or delete similar attempts in the future, without wasting my precious time on them.

(Rhodium feels like debunking your made up crap by discussion. He's just too good-mannered, civilized and friendly at times.  ;)  
But gladly he was wise enough to hire assholes like me to do the dirty work  :P )

Try again. Make us work a little harder to expose your bullshit from now on.

I'll give you some help in trying to fool us: get a new username. Your current one will cease to function in a few seconds.