Author Topic: AcOH - that's Acetic Acid right!??  (Read 1794 times)

WW4000

AcOH - that's Acetic Acid right!??
« on: April 19, 2003, 10:34:00 PM »

foxy2

do you know how to use a fucking search ...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2003, 10:48:00 PM »
do you know how to use a fucking search engine?

Mabee if you searched for (AcOH and acetic acid) at the same time you would find your answer.

littlejasebee

It's so easy but
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2003, 11:17:00 PM »
The modaraters and all the Bee's that set up THE HIVE put time and alot of effect to make it as easy as they could for us , But it still makes  me laugh all the time when some Newbee's think TFSE sould just tell them all the answers    !     ;)    

Shit does TFSE tell you the answers if you try Searching for it     ::)    .

Littlejase         :)         .

terbium

HOAc
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2003, 04:38:00 AM »
please comment!
I usually spell it: HOAc .

Vitus_Verdegast

UTFSE
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2003, 12:13:00 PM »
It seems like some people don't understand basic English around here. Let me enlighten them :

from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000 :

use The act of using; the application or employment of something for a purpose. To use, to employ, to utilize ; these verbs mean to avail oneself of someone or something in order to make him, her, or it useful, functional, or beneficial.

the Used before singular or plural nouns and noun phrases that denote particular, specified persons or things.

fucking Vulgar slang, used as an intensive.

search engine A software program that searches a database and gathers and reports information that contains or is related to specified terms.

Chromic

AcOH
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2003, 03:37:00 AM »
Comment? Sure.

Terb, I guess it stems from writing Ac2O when referring to acetic anhydride, and especially AcO- to refer to acetoxy groups... Since all alcohols a written as, e.g. i-PrOH, n-BuOH, MeOH, etc... and.. well, we get lazy and forgetful and some of us tend to think of acetic acid as an organic molecule first instead of an acid first... but doubt it's asking too much to have everyone understand that AcOH is the same as HOAc.  :P

Yes, I admit I'm one of the people spelling it AcOH instead of HOAc. I do see that writing HOAc makes it more clear that it's an acid, not an alcohol.

But with a quick google search, it appears that spelling it either way is about just as common...

hypo

me too
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2003, 09:06:00 AM »
i write AcOH too.

(seems like the hive lacks a poll system  ;)  (no!))