Author Topic: practical clandestine electrolytic cell technology -drone 342  (Read 2939 times)

dormouse

Author  Topic:   practical clandestine electrolytic cell technology 
drone 342
Member   posted 09-20-98 03:33 PM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Say, we've discussed a great deal of methods of all sorts of electrolytic chemistry, but how much de we understand the practical technology behind it? Sure electrode materials, Coulombs, Amps, and overvoltage, as well as the reaction mechanisms are easy enough, but there are other details that seem to require a bit of hammering out. Specifically, regarding cell partitions.
Most electrolytic reactions that have been discussed here invovle divided cells. The big question is, what to use to divide them? Most articles I've read describe the use of a ceramic divider, but go into no further detail. Will *any* ceramic do? Doubtful, so what practical materials can be employed in this method? I'm going to spend some time in the library this afternoon and see what sort of answers I can come up with, but if somebody beats me to it, please feel free.

I know there's been much talk about a Fester-inspired use of nautral condom sheaths as an alternative, but considering the source, I'm skeptical. Any input?

-drone #342

Labrat
Member   posted 09-21-98 10:41 AM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Otto Snow has given instructions on how to make a cell-divider at home with easy-to-get chemicals and stuff. I'll post it tomorrow. Lr/

Labrat
Member   posted 09-22-98 10:06 AM          
OK, I ripped this from Otto Snow's "Amphetamine Synthesis...". The original method was published in "Exercises in General Chemistry" (1924):
"Wet a sheet of paper, wrap it several times about a large test-tube, folding in to close the bottom. Mold the paper into shape, then coat it, inside and out, with a hot solution, made by dissolving 75 g gelatin and 100 g K4Fe(CN)4 [kaliumtetracyanoferrate] in 1 l water. When the cup has drained and cooled, it may be removed and inverted until dry."

Happy zapping! Lr/

Cyclops
Member   posted 09-23-98 09:51 AM          
The local potter will make you a lovely porous porcelain cylinder to whatever size you specify. If no one in your area wotks with porcelain, try contacting one of the many who advertise on line. The response was overwhelming. I wonder what they will think if they start getting a lot of requests for these? heh...

dpHarma
Member   posted 09-23-98 09:03 PM          
hey chillun's.
hop yer way down to yer garden supply, (hurry!, their clearing***** their summer stock.
buy yerselves various sizes "unfired" clay pots.
kinda reddish color.
hole inna bottom.
plug it.
cook.

dpHarma

moe
unregistered   posted 09-24-98 06:18 PM           
It's funny as hell but them wine cooler's made out of nonglazed clay work just fine.