Author Topic: Dichloromethane OTC?  (Read 3792 times)

Buster_Hymen

Or just buy it pure, all day long, no ...
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2003, 04:12:00 AM »
Or just buy it pure, all day long, no questions asked, from several on-line pyrotechnic supply companies.

doberman90

DCM OTC ? YES!!
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2003, 12:09:00 AM »
Forget JAS** and paint strippers and all that other "must distill crap". DCM is as available to get as gasoline. I know I can't say exactly where to procure such an item, so i'll break it down instead. DCM is used in vinyl (flooring) installation as a seam sealer remover (glue remover). It is 100% or so pure, no toluene or other substances, only DCM, completely OTC. Its no secret where to find it, think of where you would go as a flooring installer to find a wholesale product, hint, some companies have accounts with such places, hint, they are usually located around industrial areas. Good luck, you won't need much though, its easier to get than you think.

wannaBEE

Never tried this before, but it sounds fun...
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2003, 11:41:00 AM »
Never tried this before, but it sounds fun anyway, since you should have some sort of distillation setup anyway: i remember reading somewhere in rhodium that MeCl is used as a denaturant in OTC MeOH. Why not just get the alcohol, distill off the MeCl (and whatever other buzzard ya got in there), then dry the leftover MeOH with CaCl. Now you got MeCl and anhydrous MeOH all in one whack, right? Probably wrong, but sounds fun :)

Rhodium

methyl chloride in methanol
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2003, 01:53:00 AM »
MeCl = Methyl chloride is a gas. Where did you read that was a denaturant in ?methanol?...

wannaBEE

Sorry, i meant methylene Chloride....bad ...
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2003, 11:04:00 AM »
Sorry, i meant methylene Chloride....bad shorthand. Anyway, i think i was mistaken in the first place. I was thinking TCBOE CH3:

Methylene Chloride[75-09-2]
Methylene chloride is the main component of paint strippers. These strippers also contains a reasonable amount of methanol that can be saved. They caome as a gelatinous substances because of a thickening agent present. If one distills the stripper, methylene chloride will be the first component to distill over, followed by methanol. The remaining residue is the thickening agent which will cling to the glassware. The thickener left can be scraped out with a coat hanger (methylene chloride bp 40°C/ methanol bp 65°C)

Still, same idea right? buy stripper, distill, distill, dry, 2 birds one stone?

raffike

Use a rectifing(or fractionating,whatever you...
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2003, 12:27:00 PM »
Use a rectifing(or fractionating,whatever you call it) column and you'll get away with one destillation.Heat so that vapours at the top of the columnn don't exceed 41 C and you'll get reasonably pure DCM.It's a bit cloudy at first but upon standing in closed container will turn crystal clear in few days,cause of cloudiness unknown.