Author Topic: Dichloromethane OTC?  (Read 3774 times)

homeslice

Dichloromethane OTC?
« on: December 07, 2002, 09:31:00 PM »
I read a post that i found on the search engine about plastic/fiberglass shops selling DCM as a glue in 1 gallon sizes. It says to ask for methylene chloride.

Can someone hopefully verify this or is it not true?

odin

How do you mean they are selling DCM as a glue, ...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2002, 10:34:00 PM »
How do you mean they are selling DCM as a glue, anyway I buy it in chem. textile cleaner.

homeslice

Post number 43625
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2002, 11:21:00 PM »
Its an old post but i was just wondering if anyone out there purchased DCM OTC?
Should i just buy the DCM from a supplier?

BlingBling

pottato pa tat Oh
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2002, 11:48:00 PM »
diclhlormethane is the same as methylene chloride.

homeslice

i know
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2002, 11:53:00 PM »
I know methylene chloride is DCM but what im asking is if DCM is available OTC at some hardware/paint shop under a different name.

BlingBling

naw
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2002, 11:56:00 PM »
>>is if DCM is available OTC at some hardware/paint shop under a different name.

Not that I know of, unless you want to distill it.

homeslice

ok
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2002, 12:02:00 AM »
Then should i just straight up order it? Is that what everyone else does or do they distill it?
What would you guys recommend?

El_Zorro

DCM is used to bond plexiglass together because ...
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2002, 12:25:00 AM »
DCM is used to bond plexiglass together because it dissolves the plexiglass, and lets it flow together to form one (more or less) piece of plexi.  Just go ask the nearest hardware store employee for some methylene chloride.

It is seductive, way too seductive.             -Eleusis

alphacentauri

There are 2 kinds of paint removing products: one ...
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2002, 12:41:00 AM »
There are 2 kinds of paint removing products: one with sodium hidroxide, and the other with DCM (aka methilene chloride) + methanol. I never tried it since you can purchase DCM from any chem supplier with somewhat like 10-20 $ 1 liter lab grade stuff, unwatched like chloroform, but if you add water you should separate DCM (water unsoluble) from MeOH. I think this is the easiest way to get that stuff, apart from buying lab grade.

Chromic

Methylene chloride
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2002, 02:53:00 AM »
Go back to the search engine! Do you think that the world's best plexiglass bonder is going to be put out of use within a year or two?

I quote, from the search engine:

My god. Walk into a fucking window shop and ask for a 4L tin of methylene chloride. They will not ask what you want it for, but if they do, say you work with plexiglas or need it to remove paint.

This quote is from a post I made recently,

Post 378034 (missing)

(Chromic: "Window shop", Newbee Forum)

... am I too abrasive when I say that?  :)

hCiLdOdUeDn

Methylend Chloride OTC....YES!!
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2002, 03:09:00 AM »
1) Go to your local hardware store
2) Buy a paint stripper which contains methylene chloride
3) Distill the contents of the paint stripper on a H2O bath ~60C.
4) Place distilled stuff in a sep. funnel and add 2x the volume with H2O. The stuff that falls out of the bottom is DCM.

Sink or SWIM

pickler

100% dcm can be bought otc.
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2002, 05:46:00 AM »
100% dcm can be bought otc. A certain company carries a product that is in fact 100% dcm. It's all here in the search engine. price is 20 dollars for 16oz.

I went into the business for the money, and the art grew out of it.-Charlie Chaplin

carcrash

from stripper
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2002, 06:58:00 AM »
Pull up msds sheets on brands of stripper available in your area. Google brand + msds. I found a gel stripper that is 83 percent dcm.

Msds searches are very useful for both hazards and for multi ingrediant products to find out what percentages of what are actually in the product.

Not a chemist I just follow directions on the box mix

wyndowlicker

hey now,
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2002, 07:21:00 AM »
Do some homework here bee.I would take that stripper, get the small can.take your stillhead into the top with the help of some teflon piping tape.run your condenser to this.also plug the top of your stillhead with a stopper,temperature is 
unimportant.run your vac adapter into a large beaker with some ice in it.this creates a water layer on top to keep fumes from escaping as quickly.you may have to dump out the water layer from time to time,and add ice.very simple,and the can is left with your gunky stuff for east disposal! ;)

You can tell the queen of diamonds,by the way that she shines.-GD :P  :P

scram

$20 for 16oz what a rip off.
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2002, 04:55:00 PM »
$20 for 16oz what a rip off. A mate can't give specific sources for security reasons but will answer your resources with questions instead. You guys are smart enough to get this >
Where would you look when obtaining Dioxygen?
On the shelves what would be a good crack/leak finding solvent in an approximately 430g spray can.
One can contains methylene chloride/propane (includes CAS)
the other contains methylene chloride/CO2   (includes CAS)

Density was checked and parred at 1.304 to 1.315 on a 0.1 scale.

Get the C02 combo can. Its cheaper and its fun to see carbonated DCM fizzle too. Runs about $17/liter with tax.

rastapopolous

fuck it..
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2002, 09:17:00 PM »
fuck it..where i live all halogenated solvents are restricted, and (believe me) hard to get. i fuckin' hate this damn country.

a drug against war

chilly_willy

home base hook up
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2002, 04:56:00 AM »
Heres a tip...starts with JAS- is an adhesive remover. Watch your distillation. Clean with water. Gallon is like $8

Protium

Loctite
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2003, 04:02:00 AM »
Try also Loctite equipment flushing solvent.  It comes in a can, just DCM and a propellant, pretty good deal and works in a pinch.

Daphuk_up

heavy duty superstrip
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2003, 06:16:00 AM »

Look around, same use as JAS-, but less other stuffs.  It contains only Toulene, Methanol, and Methylene Chloride (DCM).  I havent actually tried distilling it, anyone know if methanol and DCM form an azeotrope?  The boiling points of these substances are ~25C or greater apart...if no azeotrope, easily done, and a gallon at orange-roof runs about $12 around here.

wyndowlicker

seems like Ive been here before
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2003, 07:24:00 PM »
Oh yes indeed.ITs just fine.Nothing TFSE couldnt fix.But ill bee nice today.Take the fucking can fit it with a tube leading out into a beaker with ice in it.Put can in water bath.The ice creates a water layer pulling out you MeOH,and keeping your DCM from evaporating.Reduces your fumes.And your gunk stays in the can.Easy as 1,2,3. :P