Author Topic: Question for American members...  (Read 1284 times)

Communamine

Question for American members...
« on: October 30, 2003, 05:05:00 AM »
What exactly are the contents of 'Sani-Flush'? I UTFSE,and I found a thread with this question asked, but every single post had a different answer!

Perhaps a better question would be... would mixing Sodium Hypoclorite with NaOH evolve Chlorine Gas? and if so, what other products are gained from such a mixture?
Thank you.

gruns

I don't know but..
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2003, 07:04:00 AM »
When I was playing with chlorine I used 31.45% muriatic acid and 10% sodium hypochlorite, but there are better ways to generate this fantastically corrosive substance...

Be very, very, very, very, very, very, VERY fucking careful...

You ever seen that movie with the green fog in it?  Well, this green fog is about as bad, if not worse. You'll think it's all fun, games, and science fair projects until suddenly you're gasping for air with lungs that don't work anymore and your mom has to clean up your sorry corpse.

I would suggest searching the archives for information about chlorine and better ways to generate it more cleanly before pursuing this any further... and get a good gas mask if you don't already have one.

Turel

No
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2003, 07:51:00 AM »

would mixing Sodium Hypoclorite with NaOH evolve Chlorine Gas?

No chlorine gas will be formed. Hydroxide ions stabilize hypochlorite ions; this is why commercial hypochlorites are nearly always sold as solutions with NaOH as well. If your 'sani-flush' product happens to be a drain opener type of product (for toilets I would assume) it will likely also contain sodium silicates (as abrasives and as a precipitating agent) which will prevent you from using this product as a viable source of hypochlorites.

Check the bottle for an ingredient listing. If one is not found, call up the manufacturer customer service (number on the bottle 'questions or comments?') and ask them if the product contains silicates.

-T

cublium

Chlorine and hydrogen chloride are not that...
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2003, 08:02:00 AM »
Chlorine and hydrogen chloride are not that bad.They damage lungs but you won't die working with corrosive gases like that.Why?Cuz it hurts like hell and you run out at the same moment you get some in yer lungs and when you come back you will be more careful.They are not some poisons you may inhale without feeling anything(this is the case with,for example,hydrogen sulphide).

Rhodium

Sani-flush is 60-70% sodium bisulfate
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2003, 11:41:00 AM »
Sani-flush contains 60-70% sodium bisulfate (NaHSO4), which was easily found by plugging in "Sani-flush MSDS" into google.

Sani-Flush MSDS

(http://www.wesclean.com/FTP/MSDS/319003.pdf)

Communamine

Thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2003, 07:20:00 PM »
Thanks for all the support, everyone  :)

Well, I was going through Rhodium's archive and I came across a Chloral Hydrate synth, and while the drug is not particularly appealing for me, I was rather annoyed by how the author says that you should add "sani-flush" and never even bother mention what that is.

Rhodium: Ah, I never thought of that! I enterd 'Sani-flush,' 'Saniflush,' and 'sani flush' in Google, but I never thought about entering MSDS. Thanks for the tip!

As for Chlorine, I am very aware of how dangerous it is, and playing with it is not on my to-do lis  :)

stratosphere

NaOCl+NaOH don't yield chlorine gas, they...
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2003, 10:07:00 PM »
NaOCl+NaOH don't yield chlorine gas, they yeild higher oxides of NaOCl (eventually winding up at sodium perchlorate), H2O, and NaCl.

2HCl+Na0Cl-->NaCl+H20+Cl2 though.

Relux

au contrere mon frere er whatever
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2003, 01:18:00 PM »
On the contrary, you will feel something in the presense of even small amounts of hydrogen sulfide, an intense nausea that is. If I remember correctly it is detectable by human sense of smell at about 8ppb... something like that anyway, and that smell is not a good one by any means.  :P