Author Topic: PPA Extr. from caps. also cont. Chlorpheniramine?-ReFlux  (Read 2799 times)

dormouse

PPA Extr. from caps. also cont. Chlorpheniramine?-ReFlux
« on: April 20, 2000, 02:18:00 AM »

the Hive BB
  Novel Discourse
  PPA Extr. from caps. also cont. Chlorpheniramine?

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic 
Author  Topic:   PPA Extr. from caps. also cont. Chlorpheniramine? 
ReFlux
Member   posted 05-04-98 11:41 PM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My dog came home from his walk and told me a "tail" of this cat who wanted to extract PPA (phenylpropanolamine.HCL) from cold caps that also contained chlorpheniramine maleate. (The evil cat was apparently interested in synthesizing some Euphoria from PPA ala Cyanogen Bromide Synth.) Could anyone suggest how to hypothetically issolate the PPA from the caps? -Thanks

cowboy henk
unregistered   posted 05-22-98 06:23 AM           
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my mouse came up and told me that ppa is not banned in europe.
is that true??

cowboy henk
unregistered   posted 05-22-98 06:23 AM           
my mouse came up and told me that ppa is not banned in europe.
is that true??

BeggsBennedict
unregistered   posted 05-22-98 03:35 PM           
At which point your mother pointedly interjected: Son, just go buy a High
Times magazine and look in the advertisers index for Life-Enhancing Pharmaceuticals. They have 500ct 75mg time-released PPA HCL tablets for $24.95. They also have, somewhere-though it's hard to find because of the annoying way they name all their pills-1000ct 100mg ephedrine tabs for something like $20.00... that is alot of ephedrine in one bottle... they also accept credit cards and ship worldwide (except where it's prohibited)... I wonder what they'd say if you asked to buy a case of ephedrine pills to stock up your Mom 'n Pop store.. probably wouldn't go for that but wtf...
I hope this was useful...

--donkeyEgg

BeggsBennedict
unregistered   posted 05-22-98 03:35 PM           
At which point your mother pointedly interjected: Son, just go buy a High
Times magazine and look in the advertisers index for Life-Enhancing Pharmaceuticals. They have 500ct 75mg time-released PPA HCL tablets for $24.95. They also have, somewhere-though it's hard to find because of the annoying way they name all their pills-1000ct 100mg ephedrine tabs for something like $20.00... that is alot of ephedrine in one bottle... they also accept credit cards and ship worldwide (except where it's prohibited)... I wonder what they'd say if you asked to buy a case of ephedrine pills to stock up your Mom 'n Pop store.. probably wouldn't go for that but wtf...
I hope this was useful...

--donkeyEgg

Ritter
Member   posted 05-22-98 05:13 PM          
Re: Separating PPA from Chlorpheniramine
After some thinking, besides column chromotography I think the best way to separate the two would be to neutralize the acid salt on each drug w/ NaOH (Chlorpheniramine is usually present in the maleate salt form and PPA as the HCl) and subject the freebases to a careful fractional vacuum distillation. PPA will boil over first. Couldnt find an exact BP of PPA but I know it is a good bit less than Chlorpheniramines bp of 142'C at 1.0mmHg. A good oil spinning vane vacuum pump will be needed for this distillation.

Ritter
Member   posted 05-22-98 05:13 PM          
Re: Separating PPA from Chlorpheniramine
After some thinking, besides column chromotography I think the best way to separate the two would be to neutralize the acid salt on each drug w/ NaOH (Chlorpheniramine is usually present in the maleate salt form and PPA as the HCl) and subject the freebases to a careful fractional vacuum distillation. PPA will boil over first. Couldnt find an exact BP of PPA but I know it is a good bit less than Chlorpheniramines bp of 142'C at 1.0mmHg. A good oil spinning vane vacuum pump will be needed for this distillation.

ReFlux
Member   posted 05-23-98 02:21 PM          
Sorry Guys, should have posted sooner. Apparently my dog told me that the cat found out that Chlorpheniramine maleate was soluble in chloroform (240 mg/ml @ 25C) whil PPA is pract. insoluble in it! Voila, perfect seperation.

ReFlux
Member   posted 05-23-98 02:21 PM          
Sorry Guys, should have posted sooner. Apparently my dog told me that the cat found out that Chlorpheniramine maleate was soluble in chloroform (240 mg/ml @ 25C) whil PPA is pract. insoluble in it! Voila, perfect seperation.

Labrat
Member   posted 05-25-98 09:46 AM          
>my mouse came up and told me that ppa is not banned in europe.
Keep talking, this rat is interested. Did this friendly little mouse tell you where to get large quantities for a good price too? This rodent would like to know. Lr/

Labrat
Member   posted 05-25-98 09:46 AM          
>my mouse came up and told me that ppa is not banned in europe.
Keep talking, this rat is interested. Did this friendly little mouse tell you where to get large quantities for a good price too? This rodent would like to know. Lr/

Labrat
Member   posted 05-25-98 09:48 AM          
Sorry, Cowboy. I thought you already knew if it was banned, because in my hurry I completely missed the phrase : is that true?
Would like to know it if you know. Lr/

Labrat
Member   posted 05-25-98 09:48 AM          
Sorry, Cowboy. I thought you already knew if it was banned, because in my hurry I completely missed the phrase : is that true?
Would like to know it if you know. Lr/