Author Topic: Using protection groups on end products  (Read 2498 times)

moo

Using protection groups on end products
« on: December 15, 2001, 10:51:00 PM »
The following is from a friend:

It has occured to me that there is very little, if any, discussion on using protection groups on certain end products of interest. This isn't probably a very worthwhile issue for the US bees due to the Analog Act; but I see a great deal of potential here for those of us that are located in Europe. It is very unlikely that EU would ever approve anything close to the Analog Act - you can only be prosecuted for possession (or dealing etc) with compounds that are explicitly listed in the Narcotics Laws of the respective countries.

So, imagine you have been able to produce a decent amount of amphetamine or any other phenethylamine. Holding it (and delivering to others) poses a great risks as you could be imprisoned for years. Why not then add any of the wide selection of amine protection groups to the phenethylamine of interest, e.g. acetyl, benzoyl and so on. Even though addition of this is not trivial and comes at a cost, you are holding a product that is NOT illegal and even though it can be claimed in court that your purpose was to convert it to an illegal compound, your sentence will be much less (if you are sentenced at all) than otherwise.

Why then has this topic not ever come up here or anywhere else? Surely what I am suggesting is a minor pain in the neck, but certainly very worthwhile given the legislation in the european countries!

understanding is everything

Rhodium

Re: Using protection groups on end products
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2001, 11:02:00 PM »
People seldom store any finished products for any period of time before distributing/consuming them.

If you were to store a psychedelic amphetamine for some time though, throw on a t-BOC group or something at the nitrogen, and it won't be scheduled until after mild acid hydrolysis.

PolytheneSam

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2001, 01:16:00 AM »
I've heard of someone keeping a piece of filter paper having amphetamine sulfate on it in a Buchner funnel for about a year and then giving it to a friend.  The friend said he was surprised it was as strong as it was after a year. 

http://www.geocities.com/dritte123/PSPF.html

masterofpuppets

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2001, 06:32:00 AM »
amphetamine sulfate takes ages to decompose, however I am suprised that after a year it hadn't become all soggy from (slowly) drawing moisture out of the air.

Everyone repeat after me - "I am an individual, just like everybody else"