Author Topic: Using TLC for quantitative analysis  (Read 3100 times)

TheBlindGenius

Using TLC for quantitative analysis
« on: January 24, 2003, 11:18:00 AM »
I was reading in a Instrumental Analysis book that TLC can be used for quantitative analysis.  According to the book there are three ways.  One is measuring the size of the spots, which is a rough estimate, second is extracting the spots from the plate and using some method to measure the amount, three is using a scanning densitometer to measure the emission or something of the spot.  Of these the scanning densitometer way sounds the most accurate and easy, but I don't know what that is.  I looked up densitometer in the book and in other books but couldn't find it.  Then I looked online and I ran into photography equipment.  Does anyone know anything about this?  Swim is particularly interested in measuring the purity of pills and of cocaine.  Unfortunately the GC/MS machines available to swim all have recording software that records every spectrum recorded and every user must enter their account before taking any spectra.  Since swim is a beginning user, he also must have another user present, with their username and password recorded also.  :P

foxy2

Why GC/MS?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2003, 01:43:00 PM »
Unfortunately the GC/MS machines available to swim all have recording software that records every spectrum recorded and every user must enter their account before taking any spectra.

I'm sure they have some old GC's sitting around, thats all you would need.

PolytheneSam

This might help. Post 381016
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2003, 04:02:00 PM »
This might help.

Post 381016 (missing)

(PolytheneSam: "patents", Newbee Forum)

Also look through this.

Post 122767

(dormouse: "automating production: the use of home-made monochromatic spectrophotometers?  -drone", Serious Chemistry)

If it doesn't come up in a minute hit the stop button and the page should come up with some of the pictures missing.