Author Topic: this water aspirator is bullshit  (Read 1284 times)

chiliuno

this water aspirator is bullshit
« on: December 28, 2002, 02:29:00 AM »
well, maybe not...but mine seems to spit water from both the outlet and the suction ports, and i'm sick of the damn thing pissing all over me in any event...
can someone suggest a good reasonably priced vac pump for a newbie?  i'd rather spend a few dollars more and not get a pile of shit, but i don't want to break the bank either!
thanks.

carboxyl

Yes
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2002, 04:31:00 AM »

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/equipment/aspirator.html

Vacuum pumps are all over the place. Auction sites. Hardware stores.

hCiLdOdUeDn

Homemade aspirator
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2002, 05:56:00 AM »
Ive made an aspirator out of hardware store copper pipes and pvc pipes. Its really simple. Also there are MANY places that sell really nice glass aspirators and they work really well, mine goes down to 10-15mm HG, perfect for distillation of oils.

metwurst

you have a broken aspirator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2002, 08:25:00 AM »
You have a broken or blocked aspirator, Chiliuno.

If water is coming out the suction aperture, then there's probably not a clear path for the water to travel. My aspirator spits water out the suction pipe if there's anything stuck in the internal nozzle.

If you can, dismantle the unit and inspect it for corrosion buildup or anything stuck in there. there may be a twisted baffle inside the aspirator which makes the water jet out in a spiral fashion, so don't confuse this with something that shouldn't be there.

Aspirators can be quite useful though, especially when you need a high volume vacuum pump, or when stripping solvents and corrosives that  will eventually destroy up a mechnical pump, so fixing your aspirator before getting another pump might be a good idea.

I can also recommend buying a jet pump and making a recirculating aspirator station, because the pressure doesn't vary as wildly as that of your municipal water supply.

TFSE yields a great many discussions in what to look for in a mechanical vacuum pump when you do decide to splash out for one. Edwards and Ritchie are the two brands I most frequently remember reading about here, but it really doesn't matter what brand you buy provided it has the correct specifications.

chiliuno

thanks fellas, i'm going to spend the day at home
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2002, 03:12:00 PM »
thanks fellas, i'm going to spend the day at home depot buying pvc, lol...