Author Topic: MEK from MEK/butyl acetate  (Read 2133 times)

no2meth

MEK from MEK/butyl acetate
« on: July 16, 2004, 02:06:00 AM »
Hello bees!

I have some crappy - albeit dirt cheap - MEK (2-butanone, methyl ethyl ketone) - n-butyl acetate solvent on hand and would very much like to get the MEK out. Now, I don't feel like wasting a lot of bisulfite on this and thought about simple distillation... Unfortunately I can't find on any information on possible MEK/nBuOAc azeotropes. All I find is MEK/EtOAc (77C). Anybee can help? I UTFSEd to no avail...

Today I performed a quick'n'dirt distillation, the solvent started boiling quickly (I think ca 80C, would-be MEK or...) but didn't finish, it fucking caught fire  ::)  Doh. No more chem hacking on hangover I guess. Am in a hurry and just can't wait until tomorrow...

Last but not least, I don't know (yet) the ratio of substances in the solvent.

Edit: To the highest of my surprise, adding quite a lot of conc. aq. bisulfite soln. to ca 50ml of solvent at rt, even after extensive stirring and waiting many hours, first at rt, then on a water bath, then chilled at ca 10C, yielded absolutely no precipitate! The same with 1:1 conc. aq. bisulf./IPA soln. Is this normal? I know that this all is like nightmare ghetto chem., but I've had a terrible day today  ;)