Author Topic: Methylamine solution stability  (Read 2032 times)

cublium

Methylamine solution stability
« on: March 16, 2004, 07:55:00 PM »
Cub has few bottles of "Methylamine solution"
Concentration is yet unknown so density will be measured to make sure.Cub has a question though.He has heard that methylamine hydrochloride is very stable,now he's wondering if same is true for methylamine water solutions.These bottles might be over 15 years old.Thanks.

ApprenticeCook

MeNH2.HCl will last a long time in solution,...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 12:49:00 AM »
MeNH2.HCl will last a long time in solution, bright stars synth states that hes seen 40yo MeNH2.HCl been used with good results.

As for basifying it to get MeNH2 sure but you need to dissolve it in MeOH not water.

Rhodium

Methylamine water solution
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 01:28:00 AM »
ApprenticeCook: Aqueous Methylamine is usually a 40% w/w solution of the freebase, not the salt.

Cublium: If the solutions are clear and not discolored, I'd say they are fully intact.

cublium

Solution is water white,more viscous than...
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 07:14:00 AM »
Solution is water white,more viscous than water and has a very fishy smell.Thanks,for help.

fanofshulgin

Arghghghghghghg .... I hate the term ...
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 05:51:00 PM »
Arghghghghghghg .... I hate the term "water white" .. its completely meaningless.  Its "transparent and colorless" or even "clear"!!!!!!!!!

Fan of Shulgin

GC_MS

MeNH2
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 06:07:00 PM »
Solution is water white,more viscous than water and has a very fishy smell.Thanks,for help.

That sounds OK... 40% aq methylamine is colourless and indeed has a fishy smell. If it shows a yellowish or brownish discolouration, you may suggest that the product has degraded over time.