Author Topic: From sulfate to hydrochloride  (Read 1534 times)

kreiselmeier

From sulfate to hydrochloride
« on: December 11, 2003, 08:23:00 AM »
A friend, who is living in the desert, asked me, how  he could convert amphetamine sulfate to amphetamine hydrochloride. He has nothing but NaOh, Hcl 33% and dest water. I recommended: Dissolve the sulfate in DH2O, neutralise with a little exess of Naoh, separate the evolving freebase (He has no sep funnel,but this his problem),drop the freebase into dilute HCL until neutral, boil off the water - e voila! Amphetamine Hcl.
Should work like this, no? Any better suggestions are more than welcome.

Bandil

First off: Why convert it to the sulfate?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 08:41:00 AM »
First off: Why convert it to the sulfate?

Through both empirical knowledge and tons of references the hydrochloride is very hard to work with. It sucks water like hell and turns into goo right away. You really need to clean it very thoroughly in order to succeed in crystallizing it.

Dissolve in water, basify and extract with something like ether or DCM and separate, whereafter you evap the solvent. Do not simply basify and expect to have the freebase lying around afterwards...

As for the final crystallization of the hydrochloride, expect to have goo as the product... But if you just want something to smoke, it will do!

Regards
Bandil

kreiselmeier

You got it
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 04:38:00 AM »
Sulfate is not smokabele (SWIM tried) so the HCL is the prefered salt. I will let you know how SWIM did.
Thank you.