Author Topic: expensive Ibutenic acid  (Read 1937 times)

noche

expensive Ibutenic acid
« on: October 25, 2002, 06:59:00 PM »
I have tried to serch the net a litlle but I havent found a concret pric on one gram yet. The only thing I found were ibutenic acid for farmalogical purpos and the price for 100 mg was somthing around 800 US dollers. Thats 100 mg not one gram.  Does`nt that sound a litlle to much to you to?
1000 gram of dried plant material would cost somthing around 800 US dollers if I remember correct.
It has comed to my impression that 1000 gram of dried plantnt material contains somthing around one gram of muscimol or ibutenic acid so the plant material would defenently be the cheapest choice.
but then again it is 7-800 US dollers that  you would have to pay.

quixote

aquisition forum
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2002, 09:36:00 PM »
aquisition forum

noche

Anyway if the decarboxylation of resectivly the ...
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2002, 01:38:00 PM »
Anyway if the decarboxylation of resectivly the ibutenic acid and an extract of the plant were to be TLC monitored, what would then be a suitabl choice for the   devoleber? TiCl4 as for for the nitrotoluene isomer?
A second thought of mine was to use NiCl2 or CuCl2 to form a green or blue complex as these salts would be easer and cheaper to get a hold of. The toxity of TiCl4 does also makes me unconfortable as the analysis proberbly is to be carried out in the kitchen.

terbium

Ibotenic acid?
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2002, 08:33:00 PM »
Anyway if the decarboxylation of resectivly the ibutenic acid
I have never heard of ibutenic acid. Do you mean ibotenic acid?

and an extract of the plant were to be TLC monitored, what would then be a suitabl choice for the   devoleber? TiCl4 as for for the nitrotoluene isomer?
A second thought of mine was to use NiCl2 or CuCl2 to form a green or blue complex as these salts would be easer and cheaper to get a hold of.

I always used iodine vapour as a quick and easy developer. Or buy TLC plates with a fluorescent indicator, organic materials absorb some of the UV and produce a dark spot on a glowing background.

The toxity of TiCl4 does also makes me unconfortable as the analysis proberbly is to be carried out in the kitchen.
TiCl4 is toxic? This is news to me. It decomposes with moisture to form TiO2 and HCl. Are you worried about the toxicity of a little bit of HCl?

Baseline Does Not Exist.

PrimoPyro

terb
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2002, 02:46:00 AM »
Ive been told in private by an experimentor that of all the things he's worked with, TiCl4 is amongst the top 5 nastiest chemicals he's ever come into contact with.  :o

PrimoPyro

Rhodium

ticl4
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2002, 02:52:00 AM »
It's not that bad, it mostly smokes violently from TiO2 particles forming in the air. If you use syringes and septa to transfer the liquid between the bottle and your flask, you only need to hold your breath for about 30 seconds if working without a hood, and not at all if you have one.

terbium

TiCl4
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2002, 03:08:00 AM »
Ive been told in private by an experimentor that of all the things he's worked with, TiCl4 is amongst the top 5 nastiest chemicals he's ever come into contact with.
All that I can say to this is that this assertion is so incorrect as to be bizzare. When I was in Jr. High School I used to buy TiCl4 by the 100 gram bottle just so I could have fun squirting it into the air from a syringe and watching the trail of TiO2.

Baseline Does Not Exist.

El_Zorro

Ahhhhhhhhh..........the good old days.
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2002, 03:38:00 AM »

noche

Thanks. It apears to me that the fluorescent ...
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2002, 08:55:00 AM »
Thanks. 
It apears to me that the fluorescent plates will be able to produce a lot of fun. I gues I´ll have to try them out also.