Author Topic: soft glass wool for column insulation?  (Read 1329 times)

starlight

soft glass wool for column insulation?
« on: August 14, 2002, 04:04:00 PM »
when in the local DIY store, I spotted something interesting that I have not seen before (although probably everybody else in the world has).

It is a type of glass wool made by owens-corning. The wool is about three times the price of normal glass wool, but soft like cotton wool, not scratchy and irritating like the glass wool I am used to. much less horrible to work with

just a thought.

./

terbium

The good stuff!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2002, 05:54:00 AM »
It is a type of glass wool made by owens-corning. The wool is about three times the price of normal glass wool, but soft like cotton wool, not scratchy and irritating like the glass wool I am used to.
White, soft and fluffy? This stuff is very good for insulating distilling flask and column. You just sort of drape wads of it on the apparatus and it stays in place. You can adjust temperature gradient in the column and reflux ratio by using less of it as you move up the column.

They used to sell this stuff for aquarium filters but now it seems to have been replaced by plastic fiber for aquarium filters. It is good to see that it is still available OTC. What DIY use was indicated for it?

starlight

thats exactly what it is like
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2002, 05:45:00 PM »
and it is indicated for roofing insulation.