Author Topic: Possiblity of P2P from anethole via PMP2P?  (Read 1729 times)

miracle_wack

Possiblity of P2P from anethole via PMP2P?
« on: June 24, 2004, 09:34:00 AM »
G'day to all bees, first post but not the first time i've been here... SWIM was just wondering about the possiblity of converting anethole to PMP2P and then to P2P for meth synth...? It's a bit hard to obtain pseudo around here, as most places...

Thanks

Bandil

There are no easy ways of replacing thatĀ ...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 09:40:00 AM »
There are no easy ways of replacing that phenolic ether group with a hydrogen. Better use another route!

This has been discussed before afaik, so try searching a bit...

miracle_wack

Thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 09:46:00 AM »
Thanks a lot, still a lil kiddie

number427948

Possiblity of P2P from anethole via PMP2P
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 10:48:00 PM »
Why not just go with benzene, and chloroacetone.The friedel crafts isĀ  a pretty simple procedure..The conversion is like 60%, and all unreacted solvent is completely recycleable..Lookz like the easiest way to go to me ..

moo

What's your reference for the 60%?
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 02:58:00 AM »
What's your reference for the 60%?

number427948

The last time I balanced the equation, and ran
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 04:49:00 AM »
The last time I balanced the equation, and ran the numbers. I believe thats what I came up with,someone can correct me if Im wrong.The yield of phenylacetone, diectly correlates to the amount of chloroacetone,as the benzene is used in excess.The conversion of the chloroacetone to phenylacetone should be between 50 and 60 % depending on your technique.

moo

You can't get a yield merely by doing ...
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 05:11:00 AM »
You can't get a yield merely by doing calculations. Yield is an experimental value and thus you need to do the synthesis to find out how much product it yields unless someone else has performed it and reported the yields eg. in literature.

Bandil

This is by no means meant as flaming or ...
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 09:50:00 AM »
This is by no means meant as flaming or degrading post, its merely a guideline!

But my intuition tells me that a aspiring chemist asking about how to go from PMP2P to P2P in the newbee forum is by no means fit to work with F/C reactions. They are not very easy to work with, the yields are usually quite low and chloroacetone is very nasty to work with!

If you really want to make P2P, id suggest the following routes as more "newbee" friendly:

1)
Condense benzaldehyde with nitroethane, to get P2NP. Reduce this with SnCl2 and hydrolyze the resulting oxime using standard methods to get P2P in nice yields.

2)
Start with propiophenone, which you can reduce and dehydrate in one pot with good yields to 1-phenyl-1-propene. From here one can use the standard performic oxidation to give P2P.

What it all comes down to is what precursors you are able to obtain. P2P is really a very simple molecule which can be made in many many different ways. Some more complicated and dangerous than others  :)

But - you've got to be able to crawl before you walk, so i'd suggest you start with something a little more simple than Friedel Craft reactions. I know it looks very appealing because of the "one step to P2P from benzene" appearence... In my own novice days i also toyed around with it - but guess what; the only thing I got was a severe case of lachrymator poisoning and zero P2P. So it's not a nice route to work with.

Regards
Bandil

number427948

yield wrong!
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 05:21:00 PM »
I just got done researching,and my proclamation of a 50 to 60% yield was wrong.Ive been away for awhile so sue me..However, I did find out that the yield is a disgusting 32%.Check out Rhodiums link for all the info on P2P.And it apperarsz the benzaldehyde route is pretty srait forward,but coming up on that shit is no easy feat either.And yes chloroacetone is the equivelent to some shitty ass tear gas, but to each there own my friend..

Good luck!