Author Topic: Mace?  (Read 1458 times)

wimpy

Mace?
« on: June 24, 2004, 08:51:00 PM »
(hm, i bet i missed something when using the FSE (maybe because i used the wrong words, i guess you found out already - i'm no native speaker ...) if so, i deserve the bad karma ... sniff...)

I just read mace would contain about 10000ppm Safrol ... Mace should be much easier to obtain than Sassafras where i live, not even to talk about sassafras oil ... What could be a reason not to distill the Safrole out of it?

thanks

Saddam_Hussein

safrole
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 11:20:00 PM »
I just read mace would contain about 10000ppm Safrol ... Mace should be much easier to obtain than Sassafras where i live, not even to talk about sassafras oil ... What could be a reason not to distill the Safrole out of it?

The other 990000 parts.

GC_MS

subtility...
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 12:39:00 AM »
You put that rather subtle  :P .

You remember me of Shulgin where he states he isolated some of this precursors from the Oil of Nutmeg  :) . It is possible, but most chemists are too lazy to passionatelly fractionally distill the same fraction 3 times anew. Shulgin proved otherwise. I really don't want to follow him there though.

Also, you might want to calculate how much 10000 ppm actually is. Considering the price of mace oil, and considering it is really hard to get the safrole fraction pure, I wish you most of luck  ;D  ;D

wimpy

well, yes, that sounds like pretty good ...
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 10:29:00 PM »
well, yes, that sounds like pretty good arguments against distillation from mace... i guess SWIM should give oil of "Cinnamomum camphora" a try,
in another post somewhere around here i read it might contain up to 80% Safrole. Or, bye the way: anyone ever heard of C.champhora linalooliferum?
Another chinese camphor species, i wonder about a possible safrole content in an oil from that ...

thanks a lot!