Author Topic: Leuckart with DMF  (Read 1943 times)

josef_k

Leuckart with DMF
« on: March 11, 2004, 03:34:00 PM »
When you run the leuckart with dimethylformamide you will get the desired amine directly after the reaction with no formyl intermediate. But i'm a bit concerned about the workup. In one example in

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/pdf/leuckart.pdf

they basify with NaOH and then steamdistill. That will ofcourse release much dimethylamine into the air as the DMF is hydrolised, which isn't so nice.

Could you possibly after the reaction extract with DCM (as the amine should be in formate salt) and then basify and extract the amine as usual in an A/B? Is DMF soluable in DCM?

Rhodium

DMF is miscible with both water and DCM
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 07:42:00 PM »
Is DMF soluable in DCM?

Yes, it's miscible with both water and DCM.

terbium

Dimethylamphetamine
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 05:15:00 AM »
When you run the leuckart with dimethylformamide you will get the desired amine directly
Why do you desire a dimethylamphetamine?

josef_k

No amphetamine
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 02:14:00 PM »
No, I was going to run it on deoxybenzoin to get lefetamine.

Rhodium

lefetamine
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 05:17:00 PM »
While lefetamine undoubtedly is a psychoactive compound, it is very weak and has little recreational potential. Consider reductive amination of desoxybenzoin with N-cyclohexylpiperazine instead. The resulting compound is much stronger, see

Post 281338 (missing)

(Rhodium: "Lephetamine/Lefetamine", General Discourse)

josef_k

Yes, i have read that info.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 05:48:00 PM »
Yes, i have read that info. However, I want to first make lefetamine for the ease of the reaction, and then perhaps consider making the more potent analogue. And also, I want to get a dean stark trap before trying out the synth of that, as I would probably do it by reductivly aminating with diethanolamine, chlorinating and then reacting with cyclohexylamine (N-cyclohexylpiperazine is pretty expensive).