Author Topic: Learning O-Chem Basics  (Read 1966 times)

Frequency010011

Learning O-Chem Basics
« on: May 19, 2004, 06:59:00 AM »
Do any of you experienced bees have a favorite O-Chem book that teaches the basics?

It seems that only the older books really teach useful stuff; the modern textbooks really seem to be missing a lot of information that might be useful to newBees like me.

jemma_jamerson

UTFSE
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 07:50:00 AM »

Post 177849

(LaBTop: "FIRST READ for MEMBERS new and old!", Newbee Forum)

lab top covers it in his links

Frequency010011

Olde Books
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 12:44:00 AM »
Heh, yeah, I have read this, and U'd TFSE. I was hoping for a general discussion on the best old books to acquire.

Thanks.

Rhodium

How to search efficiently
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 01:56:00 AM »
If you UTFSE for "organic chemistry book newb" you will find a good collection of such books.

jrfoxxx1

raymond chang
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 03:15:00 AM »
i would suugest any older (early 90's) book by raymond chang. i used them in college and still have one and ordered another fairly recently, and think he is very good. i believe my professor said he was a former professor at my university. either way, i think they are well set up and easy to understand, but cover all the aspects well.

mr_pyrex

A couple of must haves-
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 07:27:00 AM »
Well since your asking for favorites, the first that comes to mind is The Organic Chem Lab Survival Manual  By James W. Zubrick   It is one of the easiest to follow that I have come across and will set you back around $35.00.  And then for the more experienced   Chemical Technicians' Ready Reference Handbook   By Gershon J. Shugar & Jack T. Ballinger.  This one will set you back around $85.00 but it is what a actual lab technician might use for reference.  Good Luck and Read up to Bee safe.  Pyrex out of books