Author Topic: Almost thought we died there.  (Read 14247 times)

Offline d00d

• Founding Wasp
  • Forum Moron
Almost thought we died there.
« on: November 02, 2022, 05:28:56 PM »
Was about to host a forum from my home planet in-case the vesp really did die.

Wasn't going to mod it or admin it or anything, but it would be there. Bulletproof-ish.
Greater knowledge through stupidity

Offline ego

• Larvae
Re: Almost thought we died there.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 01:32:25 AM »
I was beginning to mourn the loss of this incredible resource. Really puts into perspective the value of what we have here.

What would it take to backup the entire website? Where do we reconvene if it really does die?  :-\

Offline d00d

• Founding Wasp
  • Forum Moron
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 03:53:25 PM »
I was planning out the resurrection as soon as I thought it was gone.

I think significant cost savings, better performance, new forum software (FOSS) and anonymity can be had.  Paying in Monero's for your domain and VPS is cool.

Glad old faithful came back up.  Should be taking weekly snapshots of the server and putting them on an S3 bucket storage solution in case the domain or hosting takes a shit again.  But a revamp with some of the newer forum software would be cool, they have one that automatically translates RUS -> ENG so we can finally become one with the hyperlab.

Food for thought
Greater knowledge through stupidity

Offline AustralisAlchemy

• chemists of the world unite
  • Subordinate Wasp
  • don't forget to close the stopcock
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 06:53:31 AM »
I was beginning to mourn the loss of this incredible resource. Really puts into perspective the value of what we have here.

What would it take to backup the entire website? Where do we reconvene if it really does die?  :-\
I plan on writing an open source vesp scraper and outputting the data in a Json format which can be incorporated in any different project.
don't do drugs, you might get addicted to chemistry instead.
Quote from: Mrbovinejony
Ahhh what a whole bunch of bullshit for such a simple molecule.

Offline spice

• Global Moderator
  • Founding Wasp
  • Investigate it
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 01:54:25 PM »
You should all move forward on your ideas, there will come a time when they will be necessary, mark my words
Real bees just hear the buzzing and it doesn´t ever stop. Ever.

Offline Lipbalm

• Donated!
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 04:29:50 PM »
I think a one time lifetime $10 fee to become a member paid by crypto would be suitable and not outrageous at all
Any book you want for free:
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/

Any research paper you want for free:
sci-hub.cc

Offline Sawdust and Honey

• Founding Wasp
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 04:51:53 PM »
We're already suffering from a severe lack of newcomers.
End of the road. Nothing to do, no hope of things getting better.
Sounds like Saturday night at my house.

Offline xdragon

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2022, 06:46:20 PM »
I think one of the captchas during registration is currently not working. Sent Vesp a PM about this, no response so far, and I haven't tried for myself if the captcha works again yet.
"I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death."

Offline Spartan300

• Pupae
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2022, 08:36:50 PM »
What happend how come the site was down for 2 days again

Offline Mrbovinejony

• Founding Wasp
  • Seaweed hugger
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2022, 10:01:54 AM »
@xdragon apparently the captcha is working for new users either. There's 3 text boxes and the bottom one is blank, always giving an error. I tried making another account and encountered the same thing, couldn't figure out how to get past it
The Germans express it nicely: “Hunger ist der beste Koch,”
which means that a hungry man at table will not complain about quality. - Max Gergel

May all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opponents, and live like a windrammer as you fuck

Offline xdragon

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2022, 10:29:30 AM »
Yes, I sent Vesp a PM about this, so far no response unfortunately. I for my part have backed up my posts, as well as a few threads of my interest. If someone with the knowledge could provide a most recent backup of the whole site, that could be very important. I'm getting a sour feeling about the downtimes lately. In case this goes down, regroup at HL or SCM...
"I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death."

Offline ego

• Larvae
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2022, 02:03:50 PM »
What is SCM?

Offline java

• Founding Wasp
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2022, 02:17:26 PM »
.....actually its SM=ScienceMadness.....the forum next door.......java
"If you like yourself....then take care of yourself"

Offline spice

• Global Moderator
  • Founding Wasp
  • Investigate it
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2022, 02:35:02 PM »
When a forum has nearly 15,000 members I don't know if this recruit more all the time mentality is actually what is needed. As someone mentioned recently, the era of the drug chemistry forum has obviously peaked and is on the decline at this point. From what I can tell the overall quality of contributions has declined. Whether this is because of the general mentality prevalent these days or simply the mindset that it's all been done and why bother I don't know.
But the cold hard reality is that we have placed much of the knowledge of the entire human race at our fingertips, and looking around, I don't see that it is made the average person much smarter. In fact, quite the opposite.
There are only a handful of people here that are actually discussing anything interesting at all. The rest of it is speculation and reddit newbies.
I'm sure that this will be a very unpopular opinion, but it's mine and I own it.
Real bees just hear the buzzing and it doesn´t ever stop. Ever.

Offline jacolives

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2022, 03:31:16 PM »
When a forum has nearly 15,000 members I don't know if this recruit more all the time mentality is actually what is needed. As someone mentioned recently, the era of the drug chemistry forum has obviously peaked and is on the decline at this point. From what I can tell the overall quality of contributions has declined. Whether this is because of the general mentality prevalent these days or simply the mindset that it's all been done and why bother I don't know.
But the cold hard reality is that we have placed much of the knowledge of the entire human race at our fingertips, and looking around, I don't see that it is made the average person much smarter. In fact, quite the opposite.
There are only a handful of people here that are actually discussing anything interesting at all. The rest of it is speculation and reddit newbies.
I'm sure that this will be a very unpopular opinion, but it's mine and I own it.

I think I’d have to agree with this.  The low hanging fruit was gone a long time ago.  I myself have been quite busy but discussing mostly with people in other places.  Will have some exciting (novel) results to share soon - if we are all still here.
quisieron enterrarnos, sin saber que eramos semilla

Offline timescale7017

• Pupae
  • What've you got there?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2022, 10:05:04 PM »
Yes, I sent Vesp a PM about this, so far no response unfortunately. I for my part have backed up my posts, as well as a few threads of my interest. If someone with the knowledge could provide a most recent backup of the whole site, that could be very important. I'm getting a sour feeling about the downtimes lately. In case this goes down, regroup at HL or SCM...

hxxps://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/Vespiary/talk/index.html

^ Looks like this mirror hasn't been updated in nearly a decade...

This would be a long shot, but Erowid hosts the Hive (archive.erowid.org) and some Rhodium pages.
If SHTF, I wonder if they would be willing to host a Vespiary mirror too?
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Offline H-Y-D-R-A

• Larvae
  • Freedom is your Right
    • KALI
tor mirror site
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2022, 10:15:54 PM »
A tor mirror site on a dedicated server. Just copy all the /talk/ folder to the tor server, reconfigure for the tor address.
Keep this site and when down, goto tor site.
Syncing the two databases is easy.

Offline Sawdust and Honey

• Founding Wasp
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2022, 06:29:21 AM »
2 people messaged me already that they can't add any posts  because of issues with the verification boxes.
End of the road. Nothing to do, no hope of things getting better.
Sounds like Saturday night at my house.