Author Topic: HI from Oxalic acid not formic acid  (Read 2312 times)

navarone

HI from Oxalic acid not formic acid
« on: August 29, 2004, 05:30:00 PM »
hello peeps!

as you all have already seen there was a post about making HI from formic acid(cooh2).
the theory has been discussed for a long time until we found out that it didnt work sice somebody tested it and saw no reaction.

surprisingly i saw a page online in german where it says that HI can be made from oxalic acid.
this page is in german and i dont noe german but for wut i understand its a university test.
i read a pretty logic reaction on it and it describes also all the steps occuring in the reaction between I2 and C2O4H2(oxalic acid)

heres the text i found.

7. Die Reaktion von Jod mit Oxalsäure in wässriger Lösung verläuft nach folgender Bruttogleichung:   

I2  +  (COOH)2      2 HI  +  2 CO2

Der Mechanismus der Reaktion enthält zwei Parallelreaktionen mit den geschwindigkeitsbestimmenden

Schritten

I  +  HC2         I-  +  HC2O4 

HOI  +  HC2         I-  + H2O  +  CO2

Diese beiden Prozesse sind über Gleichgewichte an die Edukte gekoppelt:

I2         2I            K1  =    ;

I2   +   H2O        HOI   +   I-   +   H+          K2  = 

Man nimmt an, daß die Gleichgewichte sich im Vergleich mit den Zersetzungsreaktionen schnell einstellen

und während der Reaktion erhalten bleiben.

a) Geben Sie das Geschwindigkeitsgesetz für die Reaktion an.

b) Skizzieren Sie (verbal) die pH - Abhängigkeit der Reaktion.

c) Wodurch ist der zeitliche Verlauf der Iodkonzentration bei konstantem, hohem pH - Wert und großer

Anfangskonzentration von Iod gekennzeichnet, falls K2  >>  K1 und k2 > k1 gilt?

im not that of a expert chemist but i was sure you guys would like this info.
if there anyone who speeks german here...please post a translation of this text.

unfortunately i dont have oxalic acid, dont have the chemicals to make it and dont noe where to find it for mow.
anyway im sure some of the Big bees has it between their chemicals.
so could someone please test this in a testube just too se if there is any reaction?

we need more ways of making hi.....if somebody could give it a try....it would be useful to many bees.

mindbaby

German translation & rqst for reference source
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 02:49:00 AM »
Guten Abent!

1) Could you please post the source and if available online the address thereto?

To myself, this sadly doesn't speak about viability, yields obtained, methods of reaction or otherwise.

2) Below is a shitty translation, hope it helps.. and for your future ref, (I'm assuming you are yet familiar with translation software/websites),

http://babelfish.altavista.com

is a free online translator also doing webpages as well.
-------------------------------------------------------
7. The reaction of iodine with oxalic acid in aqueous solution runs after the following gross equation:

I2  +  (COOH)2      2 HI  +  2 CO2

The mechanism of the reaction contains two parallel reactions with the speed-determining,
Steps:

I  +  HC2         I-  +  HC2O4 
HOI  +  HC2         I-  + H2O  +  CO2

These two processes are coupled over equilibrium to the Edukte:

I2         2I            K1  =    ;
I2   +   H2O        HOI   +   I-   +   H+          K2  =

One assumes that the equilibrium adjust themselves in the comparison with the decomposition reactions fast and during the reaction remain preserved.

a) Indicate the speed law for the reaction.
b) Outline (verbal) the pH - dependence of the reaction.
c) Whereby the course of the iodine concentration is at constant, high pH - value and more

largely Initial concentration characterized by iodine, if K2 >> K1 and k2 > k1 applies?

-------------------------------
Thanks,
MiNd