Author Topic: Phosphonic Acid  (Read 10233 times)

Lucid_Dreamer

Phosphonic Acid
« on: June 09, 2003, 10:48:00 AM »
I found a couple of products and was wondering if it would be worth trying to isolate the phosphonic acid, use as is. I'm having trouble locating MSDS but the product ingredients are as follows......

PRODUCT #1
Sodium Chloride , Antimicrobial Buffer System ABS , Sodium Borate , Boric Acid , Sodium Perborate , Hydrogen Peroxide  0.006% , Phosphonic Acid

Product #2
Sterile Ophthalmic Solution Containing: Microfiltered Hydrogen Peroxide 3%; Sodium Chloride 0.85%. Stabilized With: Phosphonic Acid. Buffered With: Phosphates

Product #3
Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, 0.3%; with carbopol 980, phosphonic acid, purified water, and sorbitol; sodium perborate (0.028%) added as a preservative

Osmium

Oh boy, you must be desperate if you intend to
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2003, 11:35:00 AM »
Oh boy, you must be desperate if you intend to extract ppm quantities out of overprized medications.
Forget it.

hbo2

h3po3 content
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2003, 11:36:00 AM »
survey says...n.f.g.!!!!!!!!very little h3po3 content.keep shopping!

Lucid_Dreamer

There isn't any indication of amount.......
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2003, 11:41:00 AM »
There isn't any indication of amount....... I never found any msds on these products......None of them are medications.....Phosphates are the only products to be used in meds.......Two of them are saline solutions.

Osmium

> There isn't any indication of amount Yes...
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2003, 11:48:00 AM »
> There isn't any indication of amount

Yes there is. The ingredients are listed in decreasing amounts.

> None of them are medications

Oh yes at least two of them are. "Ophtalmic" means some medication for the eye, or maybe contact lense cleaner or something similar.

> Two of them are saline solutions.

Saline plus some other stuff. These compositions all sound like eyedrops to me.

Lucid_Dreamer

Yes but the decreasing amounts could mean...
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2003, 01:22:00 PM »
Yes but the decreasing amounts could mean anything....and in the one saline solution the phosphonic acid is listed before the water. And the Ophtalic one is a contact lens cleaner indeed and not a medicine.

Bu that is all relative. I found a 40% potassium phosphite fertilizer solution about 10 minutes ago. It costs 60$ a gallon and the npk is  2-40-16 .  Can i just boil this down as if i was proceeding to with an already mixed phosphite and hcl solution or how should I proceed about working it up?

Lucid_Dreamer

yea, i dont have a bussiness to order under
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2003, 01:38:00 PM »
yea, i dont have a bussiness to order under, and all bussiness' that sell to individuals that i personally have found don't or won't sell h3po3.

SHORTY

You would be better off
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2003, 03:21:00 PM »
You would be better off buyin a case of matches than you would with the stuff you mentioned above in your first post.

Lucid_Dreamer

You would follow the crowd even if they ...
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2003, 03:36:00 PM »

SHORTY

What is your problem?
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2003, 08:21:00 PM »

Dolemite

Damn warts.
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2003, 09:06:00 PM »
A plane just flew by with a trailing banner that said hypo can be found (in miniscle quantities) in everyone's favorite wart remover.  Guess it does a bang-up job on those little nasties.  Good luck trying to use this as a source.  Now if you happen to work at the wart-remover factory... you may be a winner.

Lucid_Dreamer

Yea i guess you would need to look into wart...
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2003, 09:14:00 PM »

Lucid_Dreamer

if phosphite in an acidic solution with a pH...
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2003, 06:37:00 PM »
if phosphite in an acidic solution with a pH of 6.5 with a 40% amount, isn't that solution technically 40% phosphonic acid? If it is, would it be possible to slowly heat and evaporate 60% of the solution as is and filter precipitation salts and be ready to use in synth? One problem I pondered was decomposition of course, and i was wondering if anyone had some ideas or some answers to my questions?