Author Topic: R.I.P. Alexander Shulgin  (Read 12223 times)

Offline D1ss0nanc3

• Subordinate Wasp
R.I.P. Alexander Shulgin
« on: June 03, 2014, 06:33:46 AM »
Pronounced dead on June 2. The last post on his Face book from May 31 reads
To All Our Friends,

The time has come for me to tell you what none of us wanted to say or hear. Sasha has moved into a new phase, beginning just four or five days ago, characterized by great weakness (he can barely lift his head), loss of weight (he's somewhere around 130 lbs.), and reluctance to utter more than single words at a time.

We are still blessed in that he has no pain -- or when he does have a twinge or even a needle-strike, it's over immediately, and we haven't had to give him any of the strong pain medicines which Hospice has available. We hope it continues that way.

But everything else is not good news. He's holding on to life, or at least his body is fighting the good fight (he was always extremely strong and healthy, until a few years ago), and it's possible that he may live to see his 89th birthday, but we can't be sure. For that matter, he may stay with us for several months more, but we would be surprised if he did.

Sasha knows that he's dying, but that doesn't bother him. He doesn't know he has cancer of the liver, and there's no need for him to know; that knowledge would give him nothing useful. After all, as he has said, "We all have to die of something!"

Thanks to all of you for your support all these years. We appreciate every single dollar and every note or e-mail. You have kept our Tibetan and British caregivers here with him, and he has been surrounded by love and a lot of laughter, due to your help and compassion.

I'll let you know when there is an important change. In the meantime,

Blessings

Ann and Team Shulgin

Sad day for the world of psychoactive chemistry, he is truly a legend and an inspiration.

Offline NeilPatrickHarris

• Dominant Wasp
Re: R.I.P. Alexander Shulgin
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 02:21:41 PM »
This is a man who truly made an impact on the world and left it a far-better place than when he found it.

Offline AnyNameWillDo

• Subordinate Wasp
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 03:13:49 PM »
Definitely a day I've been dreading for quite some time... What a loss.

Offline ethnobot

• Larvae
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 10:30:39 AM »
R.I.P Mr. Shulgin. You shall be missed

Offline Tsathoggua

• Spaz Tech
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 08:42:18 PM »
Truly a massive loss to all his caregivers, Ann Shulgin of course, and to the psychoactive community.

It saddens Toady,  now he will never get the chance to meet the great man himself.

Rest in peace Sasha, may whatever comes after death, if anything at all prove peaceful and trippy as fuck. He deserves a wonderful NDE.

Sasha is the man who inspired me to take up the same path he walked, albeit with a few differences in personal tastes, psychotropic-wise.

First psychedelic he ever made (toady, not Shulgin; that is), is 2C-D via Knoevanagel condensation of the appropriate benzaldehyde with nitromethane. Just needs the nitro reducing. PIHKAL along with a little credit to Erowid for his background research.

After that, then whats left of the aldehyde will be put towards the corresponding amphetamine, DOM.

The Toad-man will, once he was worked up slowly to an ideal dosage, make his first trips on the 2,5-MeO substitution pattern of the phens/phets a hike in Toady's favourite woodlands/forest on DOM or/and 2C-D, in commemoration of the great man.

Sasha inspired me, I can't emphasize how much so. A great and visionary, doing his best to debunk the vile morass of governmental lies, propaganda and to cleanse the plain damned well bovine fecal expulsions, no doubt about it, Alexander Shulgin came to this earth way ahead of his time, and kicked some serious arse :D.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Nomen mihi Legio est, quia multi sumus

I'm hyperbolic, hypergolic, viral, chiral. So motherfucking twisted my laevo is on the right side.

Offline asdet0281

• Larvae
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 04:16:27 PM »
now ann shulgin has also passed away last month. i met them both 2006 in berlin.