Author Topic: Tried to gas, had problems  (Read 2758 times)

kris_1108

Tried to gas, had problems
« on: June 13, 2004, 05:06:00 AM »
Hi
SwiK recently dreamed that he attempted to gas some xylene which was holding around 1gm of FB pseudo.

A gasser like VE's was constructed. To a 600mL bottle, CaCl2 was added to half way. Then HCl was added, untill the waterline of the HCl was 2/3rds of the way up into the CaCl2. Swik stopped pouring the HCl, however, it continued 'rising up' into the CaCl2 untill it was all saturated. Must have been pouring WAY too fast. So to correct the situation, and additional 1" of CaCl2 was added ontop of the existing stuff. This addition of CaCl2 stayed dry, and was not saturated by the existing HCl.

Large amounts of HCl gas were being produced. Pressure would build up if a lid was screwed on the bottle. SwiK attached his custom lid to the bottle (a lid with a small 12" vinyl tube coming out of it.) Gas was STILL being produced after several minutes (cough, cough...) Swik decided to insert the hose into the xylene. The xylene had been washed with a NaOH soln, then hot and room temp water. It was dried with dried epsoms after that, and then filtered untill clear.

The bottle was producing enough gas to bubble all by itself. The xylene went very white/cloudy, but no pseudoephedrine HCl precipitated out. After gassing for a few mins, the solution was filtered (SwiK was thinking that coudiness was small pseudo particles.) The filters caught no solids, and the NP remained cloudy.

Approximately 50mLs of dH2O was added to the NP along with a few drops of HCl to titrate the pseudo. It has yet to be evapped to yield the HCl. If there is no crystals upon evaporation, ther must have been a problem with the original extraction of the FB from the GUPS. If pseudo crystals do appear after the evaporation, there must have been a problem with the gassing apparatus.

Can anybee give SwiK a few tips on gassing, and VE's gasser? Are there any obvious errors in the procedure that was used here?

Shane_Warne

At some point during the procedure, moist HCl...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 05:36:00 AM »
At some point during the procedure, moist HCl gas passed through the xylene causing it to cloud.

Make a drying tube with wide PVC tubing and two corks or stoppers and fill it with CaCl2.

You did the right thing by then titrating, I'd go easy on the HCl to titrate with though, considering it's quite possibly already converted to the hcl form.

I think pfed is more sensitive to acidification than it is to overbasification. How much can it take? Don't know.

kris_1108

Thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 01:06:00 PM »
Thanks Warnie for your help. I like the idea of the drying tube; I suppose it would be inline, maybe just after the HCl gas exits the bottle lid. I've been put off gassing, after that recent happening  :-[  What a sissy hey!  ;D

After titrating the NP, yield was about 400mg on one pull. Had several f*ckups during the whole experimental extraction. Total pfed available was 1.44gms. I think if this was done on ten boxes, the yield % would be alot higher, maybe up to 50%. Believe it or not, I'm actually happy to see a bit of pfed on the plate! (even though it was low yield...)

Shane_Warne

What a sissy hey! Nope.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 08:52:00 PM »
What a sissy hey!

Nope.

After titrating the NP, yield was about 400mg on one pull. Had several f*ckups during the whole experimental extraction. Total pfed available was 1.44gms. I think if this was done on ten boxes, the yield % would be alot higher, maybe up to 50%. Believe it or not, I'm actually happy to see a bit of pfed on the plate! (even though it was low yield...)

Thats good to hear mate!
:)