Author Topic: Try this for your gassing woes!  (Read 2038 times)

Giver_Hell

Try this for your gassing woes!
« on: July 26, 2004, 03:46:00 PM »
I recently ridged up a ghetto vacuum that I attached to a mason jar lid for when I gassed my np. I got this idea from a friend of mine gasses his np in one of those flasks that has an tube coming out towards the top of the flask to hook up a vacuum source (sorry cannot recall the name of them right now). He hooks up a vacuum to this, runs his gasser hose through a rubber stopper thats placed in the neck of the flask thats had a hole drill in the center, turns on his vacuum source and vigorously swirls the flask around. The np instantly cheeses up full of goodies.

He claims that the vacuum sucks out all the old, excess gas along with any moisture from the air thats is in the flask. Basically it keeps everything dry while gassing.

My ghetto vacuum is a raft inflater/delater that I attached a hose to and ran it to a hose barb that was put in a mason jar lid. I drilled two holes in the lid, one for the hose barb and another hole that I could stick my gasser hose through. I would screw this on top of my jar that is to be gassed, plug in the vacuum, stick the gasser hose through the top, and swirl the jar around. Unfortunately, I have only use my contraption once before it came up "missing". It seemed to help out considering it was very humid at the time.

I am curious to know if my friends idea adds any real benefit when gassing or if its a bunch of nonsense thats a waste of time. Seems to be logically to me but would like others opinions on this.

ApprenticeCook

sorry cannot recall the name of them right now
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 05:24:00 PM »
sorry cannot recall the name of them right now
Gas washing bottle? Dreshell (sp?) bottle is the name. Look at the picture, this is what your talking about?

This is the correct lab glassware for gas washing but there are billions opf ways you can ghetto rig these....

Its logical as long as you only use a small vacuum, had a friend who used this then another NaOH wash bottle to remove the HCl that is sucked away with his disto vacuum, it works still but you go through HEAPS of excess HCl as some is sucked away before its used....

Use a small vacuum as you have and your fine... just make sure to use a NaOH (or other strong base) in another wash bottle after this one or your ghetto vacuum will not last very long...

What its for is to pull the HCl through the solution, and once its done what it can the excess is pulled out, this can help stop outlet pipe clogs as the gas is pulled through it pushes away any crystals forming on the gas outlet.
Can sometimes help to stop over-gassing as with the vacuum pulling it through you tend to stop and freeze, filter, regas more, the downside is with the vacuum it does go through more HCl as it does tend to suck some away without reacting... but hey, HCl is cheap and easy.

-AC

Giver_Hell

actually what my friends us is a bunchner...
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 08:03:00 PM »
actually what my friends us is a bunchner funnel (I thinks that the name for it).

Can one purchase gas washing bottle, or a dreshell bottle, at any chemical supply warehouse? Also, does it come with everything thats shown in the pic.?

My favorite thing that I noticed when using my ghetto vacuum was I could contain alot of the excess gasses so that they wouldn't be just floating around in the air.

superman

i think side arm flask may be the name you're...
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 09:22:00 PM »
i think side arm flask may be the name you're looking for

ApprenticeCook

side-arm flask / buchner flask....
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 09:46:00 PM »
side-arm flask / buchner flask....
both mean roughly the same thing, only diff is that side-arm flasks have actual ground glass joints at the top and buchner flasks generally just have a wide top to allow the rubber stopper around buchner funnels to fit in...

Dreshell bottles are easily bought from lab supply places, chem suppliers can get them if they normally sell lab gear...
To my knowledge i doubt they would be watched as they are a fairly common thing...

You dont need to buy the actual lab piece, they are easilly ghetto rigged as i said before...
Just get a glass jar with a plastic lid (i use in OZ a jumbo size vegemite jar) and drill two holes in to fit the tubes, one goes to the bottom of the jar and the other only just in the top...
use grommets or something to seal the tubes in creating a air tight seal, the screw top jars are fairly air tight anyway.
Fill the jar 3/4 with whatever you want (water or NaOH conc solution for acid vapours) and when your using it put inline with your vacuum line, apparatus goes to the tube which goes to the bottom of the jar and the vacuum source to the other.
If im bubbling gas off into a NaOH bubbler i usually put in a pH indicator so i know when the bubbler is nearly used up, use several of these inline to maximise the time it can be used before you have to stop, vent and change the bubbler material.

They dont last very long but they are cheap to build and hence replace... you basically need to rebuild them after every 3 or so times they are used as a acid gas bubbler.

But if you choose to buy a dreshell bottle they are usually sold in two pieces, the head and bottle are sometimes seperate, and you need to get the same size ground joints so the fit together.

-AC