The Hive > Novel Discourse

Ludes from phthalimide - The saga continues

<< < (2/3) > >>

Methaco_s_mic:
Cheapskate > Good to hear that you don't question my success. I also believe that the problem is that you don't use the same hypochlorite solution as me. I could try to make my own 3.5% solution using solid NaOCl, but I don't have any right now, so I will not do this soon anyway. Let us all hear about your future adventures!

o-Toluidine is still easy to obtain in my area, but you are smart when planning ahead... However I'am not to fond  playing with it repetedly due to it being toxic.    

-Methaco(s)mic

Cheapskate:
Twice now I've ran across references that say that solutions of sodium hypochlorite are unreliable in their concentrations and have to titrated into reactions.  Could it be that I'm getting varying concentrations??  I tend to use the same bottle until empty and then switch, and gotten the varying reactions, but maybe there's something here.

Is there a way to test the concentration of this stuff?  Maybe I'm just being messed up by my source.  I could try some reagent grade material, but this won't help the garage mechanic.  Maybe Clorox bleach would be better after all!!

Methaco_s_mic:
Cheapskate - Yes, those bulk solutions you buy is probably of rather low quality. But yet, if you made your OWN 3.5% solution using NaOCl(s) this could not have been the problem that time. 

The concentration should be possible to determine using some kind of titration, ehh, well, read up on it. Something smelling of Cl2 could be used I guess :)

-Methaco(s)mic

Rhodium:
To titrate a NaOCl solution:

Add KI until no more iodine precipitates. Titrate this iodine slurry with good stirring with a well defined concentration of sodium thiosulfate until all the iodine color disappears.

The number of moles of thiosulfate needed, exactly equals the number of moles NaOCl present in the solution you began with. Correct for the volume and you'll get the concentration.

http://rhodium.lycaeum.org

Cheapskate:
Rhodium, is this for real?  I can try this a see what I get but I expect to have trouble with precipitating the iodine.  My experience has been that one can't tell when the iodine quits precipitating and one could easily have too much KI in the solution.  Hmmm or would this even matter?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version