Anise oil as PMA precursor

(1/6) > >>

Jackhammer:
Anise oil as para-methoxyamphetamine (PMA) precursor
D. Waumans, N. Bruneel, J. Tytgat
For. Sci. Int., 133 (2003) 159-170
DOI:10.1016/S0379-0738(03)00063-X

Abstract
These days, MDMA is one of the most popular drugs of abuse. Due to its illegality, MDMA and its chemical precursors are watched by governmental organizations in many countries. To avoid conflicts with legal instances, underground chemists have tried to market several new unregulated amphetamine analogues, such as 4-MTA. Para-methoxyamphetamine (PMA), on the other hand, is regulated by law but its precursors are easily obtained since they are cheap and unwatched. This article presents such a case, namely the large scale synthesis of PMA using anethole, a main constituent of anise oil, as precursor. Anethole has been converted to its phenyl acetone analogue via peracid oxidation, while PMA itself has been synthesized using this ketone as precursor in the Leuckart synthesis. The synthesis of PMA using anethole as starting product has been investigated applying GC/MS and GC-HSPME/MS techniques, hereby discovering new specific (4-methoxyphenol) and already identified synthesis impurities (4-methyl-5-(4-methoxyphenyl)pyrimidine, N-( -4-methoxyphenylisopropyl)-4-methoxybenzyl methyl ketimine, 1-(4-methoxyphenyl)-N-(2-(4-methoxyphenyl)-1-methylethyl-2-propanamine, 1-(4-methoxyphenyl)-N-methyl-N-(2-(4-methoxyphenyl)-1-methylethyl-2-propanamine, N-( -4-methoxyphenylisopropyl)-4-methoxybenzaldimine). The new impurity 4-methoxyphenol is specific for the application of a peracid oxidation method where anethole is used as precursor.

Rhodium:
Forensic Sicence International 133, 159-170 (2003) (https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/pdf/forensic/anethole.pma.precursor.pdf)

senzualus:
I think it's a great idea (at least for me) since in my country -one ex communist, non USSR, little country in eastern Europe- the public perception of drugs is: "drugs=heroin , something you inject in your veins an makes you do crazy things".

Besides that I don't think the law authority here makes much difference between the various substituted amphetamine derivates and MDMA -they recently (a couple of months ago) put safrole on the precursors list...

.... so you can get 10ml freshly squeezed, fennel oil(~90% anthole) for about 1.5$ from the "aromatherapy, natural stuff & more" store (among other oily, goody-smelly things )...I don't know about you, but for my needs is just perfect  :)

my experiments:

anethole--(Br2/bromhydrin/epoxide oxidation)-->ketone

the ketone -(NH4Cl/NaOH Al/Hg)-> amine reaction was a failure (I really don't want to talk about that)

any refs and sugestions are welcome.... :)

GC_MS:
any refs and sugestions are welcome....
--- End quote ---

Read CA, it's FULL with references to anethole.

... so you can get 10ml freshly squeezed, fennel oil(~90% anthole) for about 1.5$ from the "aromatherapy, natural stuff & more" store (among other oily, goody-smelly things )...I don't know about you, but for my needs is just perfect
--- End quote ---

Wrong, fennel oil contains much less anethole: 50-70%. Anise oil derived from Illiceum verum and Pimpinella anisum is what you need (80-95%). Or should I say "need". I never understood why somebody wants to take PMA deliberately if he/she has experienced the effects before. I tried the drug only twice (I guess about 4 years ago), and brought back the memories of bad trips. It caused serious overheating and a flood of sweat. Very unpleasant. Now, I only have a small bottle of sweet anise left, just for its odor.

java:
One can also add methylamine to the allene in the presence of a catalytic amount of CuBr. or palladium compounds.  That would make P-methoxy Methamphetamine. What I like to know is how  to remove the methoxy or change it to a less inactive component or get rid of it ......java

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version