The Hive > Chemicals & Equipment

my pill press

<< < (2/5) > >>

ApprenticeCook:
Yeah i would like to see some pictures.

Hand operated? how did you achieve the required pressure??

Would love to see some pics so we can see how it operates and pics of sample output pills.... what are they like? good as one wants them to be???

Schematics on how we can all build one would be good! we can even inscribe a design copyright on the side....  ;D

Good work though, flash animation looks like a good mechanical method being used.

-AC

indole_amine:
Pressure: Car jack hydraulics?

sample output pills.... what are they like?
probably depends on the fillers and binders used..

..has anyone a suggested "recipe" for making nice, smooth pills that don't break apart when touched  :P ?

Common ingredients are:

* SiO2 and talcum are used to allow for a nice flow of the unpressed pulverized material - anti-caking agent, so to say... (probably not needed here)
* mannitol, lactose, fructose or cellulose ("microcrystalline" type) help in keeping the goods together
* lubricating agents like magnesium stearate are used to avoid having the pills stuck in the machine...
* coating can be done to make things easier to swallow (MDMA has a nasty taste!): it can consist of color, sugar, water, cellulose derivatives, polyvinyls and/or gums and is sprayed over the pressed raw pills, followed by hot air drying

indole_amine

jboogie:
Pressure: Car jack hydraulics?
swiz used a pair of bench vises that he cranked the shit out of.
..has anyone a suggested "recipe" for making nice, smooth pills that don't break apart when touched ?
the key factor to noncrumbly pills is the presure involved with the press. it didnt make much difference in the mix of binders. i used ta watch this guy ;) -who lives in siberia btw- mix up batches and it only took talc and mcc to make a pill. i would suggest looking up the pharma-purdue patient on the binders in oxycontin-not the new smartpills; the old oxys had a minalmal amount of weird fillers... just dont press the pills to 50,000lbs like they do the oxy or youll probably shit it out whole. the other important ingredient was food grade wax spray. the pressed pills were shaken up in a plastic bag blown up with air after they were sprayed with a lite coat of food grade edible wax sealer.
swiz had something similiar, without the springed top. basicly an inch thick bar of aluminium with staggerd rows of holes drilled thru. another block with corrasponding dowls. locking backplate.
there were other factors also. the pills had to have some moisture for the binders to work at all. if they were moist when they came out- which they were- then someswim had to spread all the pills out to dry or condinsation would form in the bag or bottle and they get crumbly again. swify found heating the plate while they were pressing to bee nice and the addition of one of those little desk heaters that barly blows hot air perfect. the key is to dry the pill quickly without making the inner moisture turn to steam. :)

jboogie:
Can stomach acid easily break-down a wax?
i dunno, but it doesnt stop the goodies from beeing absorbed! back in the day 8) , when sqwid made pills, there werent any pill presses around. we just put the goodies in candy/food wax- called a "jelly roll". molly in the green, go-go in the reds... they were only the size of a penny or nickel and they came in five exciting flavors.
but back to the ?, the wax doesnt stop anything from working. and you werent eating like an ounce of wax, maybee 3/4 gram at most! the spray wax i was speaking of is a food grade edible wax, its very thin-has a low viscosity. some varieties even have antioxidents(vitC) in them,these are mostly found in the health food stores though.

methyl_ethyl:
I have been meaning to post this for some time, however I was waiting for the right thread.  This thread seems to be a  proper home for the following "recipe":

USP 27 NF 22

Gastric Fluid, Simulated- TS

Dissolve 2.0 g of sodium chloride and 3.2 g of purified pepsin, that is derived from porcine stomach mucosa, with an activity of 800 to 2500 units per mg of protein, in 7.0 mL of hydrochloric acid and sufficient water to make 1000 mL. [NOTE—Pepsin activity is described in the Food Chemicals Codex specifications under General Tests and Assays. ] This test solution has a pH of about 1.2.

;D   Just in case y'all really want to create a model for pressed pill digestion in humans that adheres to USP standards.  Of course this should be used in conjunction with the USP dissolution apparatus Post 520145 (methyl_ethyl: "USP Dissolution Apparatus", Stimulants) that I have posted in the stimulants forum  :) ....

regards,

m_e

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version