Author Topic: Hydergine - shit or champagne?  (Read 5845 times)

muriatic_asshole

Hydergine - shit or champagne?
« on: November 03, 2001, 12:45:00 AM »
Hydergine aka Ergoline Mesylates are available by the truckload.  I scoured the filthiest floors on the web but couldn't see any synths to active tryptamines whatsoever.  Is it best left as a 'smart drug'?

3 4 5 5 12 13 ? 24 25

PolytheneSam

Re: Hydergine - shit or champagne?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2001, 12:49:00 AM »
Try some out and then think about it.

http://www.geocities.com/dritte123/PSPF.html

Rhodium

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2001, 01:34:00 AM »
It is not possible to turn them into any lysergides, as a crucial double bond in the molecule is hydrogenated...

muriatic_asshole

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2001, 01:50:00 AM »
Thanks, that was pretty much what I suspected.  How annoyingly tantalizing. Was worth a shot in the dark for what they were asking.

3 4 5 5 12 13 ? 24 25

muriatic_asshole

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2001, 01:53:00 AM »

Off topic, but have you tried it Polythene?  Was it any good?

3 4 5 5 12 13 ? 24 25

PolytheneSam

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2001, 02:23:00 PM »
I haven't tried it.  I've never seen it OTC.

terbium

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2001, 07:39:00 PM »
I've never seen it OTC.
It is not OTC, it is prescription (in the US) but it is easy to get a prescription since most docs consider it to have no abuse potential or side effects. Is it even a "Scheduled" drug? Perhaps Schedule IV if at all. If you live near Mexico you should be able to get it there, declare it to Customs when you return and not raise an eyebrow.

muriatic_asshole

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2001, 04:10:00 AM »
the reason I brought this up is that a gram of pure compound (WELL THE .hcL) can be bought for 20 bucks which seemed pretty low.

3 4 5 5 12 13 ? 24 25 come on!! what number goes on ?

PolytheneSam

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2001, 02:55:00 PM »
I read somewhere that hydrogenation with a catalyst is (or can be) reversible (ie. dehydrogenation).  Maybe you could use the catalyst that was used to hydrogenate it to convert (dehydrogenate) it back to the ergot alkaloid form.  Maybe other catalysts would work.  You have to be careful not to decompose it, though.  Try it out and tell us how it works.

muriatic_asshole

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2001, 01:30:00 AM »

Try some out and then think about it.

I just now caught that, funny man.   :P  

Bozakium

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2001, 08:29:00 AM »
Polysam: 1-It's too complex and delicate a molecule for such operations. 2-the calalyst that hydrogenates alkenes cannot be used to reverse the reaction, you should know that. 3-Enen if the molecule could take it and you did find a way to go from alkane to alkene, how would the reagent know which single bond to act upon?

Lilienthal

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2001, 12:17:00 AM »
Sure, you can use hydrogenation catalyst as a dehydrogenation catalyst (at least in theory). But indeed the question is where the double bond goes. I think it will form the isoquinoline analog (with the indole double bond moving)... This has been a major problem in early total syntheses of lysergic acid (as far as I remember).

PolytheneSam

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2001, 02:48:00 AM »
Here's an example Jim gives. 

Post 211957

(jim: "Re: promotors of Urushibara ??", Novel Discourse)
A catalyst only affects the speed of a reaction not the equilibrium point.  If it changed the equilibrium point it would violate the laws of thermodynamics, ie. you could make a perpetual motion machine of the second kind using these catalysts.  Removing H2 or using a hydrogen acceptor would push the reaction farther toward the dehydrogenated form.  Maybe a particular catalyst can be found which will put the double bond where you want it, but not affect any other part of the molecule.