Author Topic: Pd/C and shipping regulations  (Read 1509 times)

TheBlindGenius

Pd/C and shipping regulations
« on: September 06, 2002, 04:19:00 AM »
5-10% Pd/C.  From swim's understanding of this chemical, it doesn't seem to be watched closely.  Swim has one or two sources for the stuff, but he is afraid to order because Pd/C is not accepted by UPS, which would seem to complicate things.  So Swim guesses maybe they ship it by truck or something.  Would having something truck shipped to a residential address be suspicious?  Swim doesn't want to make it himself because he wants the most active stuff he can get so he won't fuck up his projects and thinks that it is most ethical to use the best chemicals he can get his hands on.  The addresses he has available to him are all residential, unfortunately.  Anyways, thanks.

platcat

not watched?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2002, 07:23:00 AM »
Who said?Swip was told not to order that one?I dunno for sure, correct me if im wrong and pm me with the info.PC

Theres a reason for all of this but I dont know what it is?
Greg Graffin

carboxyl

I always like to have an excuse for a legit use ...
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2002, 09:59:00 AM »
I always like to have an excuse for a legit use before I order any chemical. Never have anything suspicious delivered to your house. If you have been somewhat loose in your security precautions, then it might be wise to have the Pd/C delivered to a house other than your own. It might be ethical to use the highest quality chemicals (?), but will you still be conserned with using ethical chemicals when your doing 25?

The above post is purely fictional. Any resemblance to "real-life" is purely coincidental.

SPISSHAK

What carboxyl said
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2002, 10:07:00 AM »

carboxyl

No
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2002, 11:28:00 PM »
I hope I didn't come across saying that you should be unethical. I was responding to it is most ethical to use the best chemicals he can get his hands on. What I was trying to say is if you order 99% ketone from sigma-aldrich, it is probably the best chemical, but you'll probably get caught. Ethics are important, we're not criminals.

The above post is purely fictional. Any resemblance to "real-life" is purely coincidental.

TheBlindGenius

Has anyone ordered the stuff?
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2002, 06:40:00 PM »
Don't worry swim has a lot of places he could have it shipped, and has never ordered anything to his house.  It's not getting the chemical he's worried about.  He's worried about complications brought about because of the fact that it isn't shipped UPS.  For example, maybe they won't ship to a residential address, or something.  Has anyone here ordered the stuff?  Swim needs to know how they ship it and if there are any complicated bullshit things that it involves over UPS, FedEx, etc.

chemdork

if its not hydrogenated SOME distributers will ...
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2002, 05:10:00 AM »
if its not hydrogenated SOME distributers will sell it
though normal mail... shop around.  200+ shipping fees
may apply!!!

foxy2

you mean if its not reduced
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2002, 01:32:00 AM »
you mean if its not reduced

Read and Listen!!! 

http://www.zmag.org/chomsky/index.cfm

TheBlindGenius

type needed
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2002, 02:58:00 AM »
the Pd/C is for someone somewhere in a galaxy far far away to do a CTH reductive amination so swim thinks it has to be reduced, right?

foxy2

You can reduce it yourself with hydrogen gas
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2002, 01:21:00 PM »
You can reduce it yourself with hydrogen gas

Read and Listen!!! 

http://www.zmag.org/chomsky/index.cfm

TheBlindGenius

foxy2, please elaborate
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2002, 06:09:00 AM »
I thought you need hydrogenation equipment to prepare your own Pd/C.

Organikum

to prereduce Pd catalyst
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2002, 08:15:00 AM »

You can do the prereduction (if necessary at all) the same way as the CTH. Ammoniumformate (or another internal hydrogen source) and Pd/C-solvent in the microwave, zapp it three times for 30 seconds and done. (the exact irridation time depends on your setup, you have to figure this out by yaself).

good luck!

ORGY

~ Love is the law, love under will. ~

TheBlindGenius

Update
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2003, 01:45:00 AM »
Wet Pd/C is not considered hazardous material and IS accepted by all of the major shipping companies, so when you order, specify wet.  Most of the big companies have at least a dozen different types of Pd/C, different particle sizes, manufacturers, wet, dry, etc.  So get wet  ;)   It's just regular shipping in that case.  Also, some Indian companies, they will custom make your Pd/C, so you can tell them to wet it with MeOH and send it regular flammable liquid ORM-D that way.  teehee  :-[   I love Asia.